My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:21 pm

Back in mid-October I asked two people for LORs and both agreed. One had his letter submitted by Halloween. The other still has not submitted. I wrote at the beginning of last week assuring that there was no rush yet but hinted that sooner would be better than later, especially when later is during the holidays. Didn't get a response.

What should I do? Maybe re-send the LSAC email? There really isn't a rush right now because I'm not applying until after the February test results come out but if I should start asking one or two more people for an LOR then it would be smart to start before the New Year.

daryldixon
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 am

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby daryldixon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:What should I do? Maybe re-send the LSAC email? There really isn't a rush right now because I'm not applying until after the February test results come out but if I should start asking one or two more people for an LOR then it would be smart to start before the New Year.

You should apply next cycle. That is way too late to expect admission to any decent school.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22822
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:27 pm

If you told the letter writer that there was no rush, they won't rush. If you need/want the letter by a specific date, then tell them what date you want it by. (Profs are like many humans, they will get work done by the deadline but not before.) And if you're not applying till after February results come out, the writer still has LOTS of time to get the letter in.

PalmBay
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:18 am

You're waiting for the February results? Just relax man, that's a ton of time. After the break go see your professor in person and ask if he needs any help. Then also add that you would like it by the end of January, or whenever you feel is appropriate.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 am

PalmBay wrote:You're waiting for the February results? Just relax man, that's a ton of time. After the break go see your professor in person and ask if he needs any help. Then also add that you would like it by the end of January, or whenever you feel is appropriate.


You're making a few (false) assumptions here.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:51 am

daryldixon wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:What should I do? Maybe re-send the LSAC email? There really isn't a rush right now because I'm not applying until after the February test results come out but if I should start asking one or two more people for an LOR then it would be smart to start before the New Year.

You should apply next cycle. That is way too late to expect admission to any decent school.


(guy stuck in the 2009 cycle)

PalmBay
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:32 am

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
PalmBay wrote:You're waiting for the February results? Just relax man, that's a ton of time. After the break go see your professor in person and ask if he needs any help. Then also add that you would like it by the end of January, or whenever you feel is appropriate.


You're making a few (false) assumptions here.

And those assumptions are inconsequential. The fact is you still have time and at some point you're going to have to communicate some urgency and set a deadline to whomever is writing your LOR.

Baby_Got_Feuerbach
Posts: 977
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 am

PalmBay wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
PalmBay wrote:You're waiting for the February results? Just relax man, that's a ton of time. After the break go see your professor in person and ask if he needs any help. Then also add that you would like it by the end of January, or whenever you feel is appropriate.


You're making a few (false) assumptions here.

And those assumptions are inconsequential. The fact is you still have time and at some point you're going to have to communicate some urgency and set a deadline to whomever is writing your LOR.


It's easier to convey urgency in person. But yes I see your point.

daryldixon
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:55 am

Re: My second LOR hasn't submitted yet.

Postby daryldixon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:
daryldixon wrote:
Baby_Got_Feuerbach wrote:What should I do? Maybe re-send the LSAC email? There really isn't a rush right now because I'm not applying until after the February test results come out but if I should start asking one or two more people for an LOR then it would be smart to start before the New Year.

You should apply next cycle. That is way too late to expect admission to any decent school.

(guy stuck in the 2009 cycle)

Nope, I am stuck in reality. Feb LSAT results come out March 5th. The T14 has already given out 95% of their acceptances by then and more importantly most of their scholarship funds. Your chances are substantially worse in March than if you applied early in the next cycle.

Do whatever you want but let me give you some real advice. Your school rank matters. It will define the opportunities you have and therefore it will affect the rest of your life. Getting into a T30 school after applying in March may seem attractive because you won't have to wait a year. But you won't feel that way when you are posting in the vale thread in 3 years. Rank matters and so does when you apply.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests