Curriculum Management

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tokenchris

Curriculum Management

Postby tokenchris » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:55 pm

I’m currently in the process of scheduling for my next semester of college before I begin applying to LS next summer. Given my major/minor combo, coinciding with their perspective requirements, along with repertoire of classes available, I have a pretty fair amount of leeway as far as what I can take. Additionally, this is really my last semester that TLS’s will see reflected on my transcript. I’m wondering, then, should I settle for some easier classes to focus on my LSAT? Or should I begin to rack up some serious 4k level courses? A couple of notes: My previous academic years thus far do not indicate a relatively strong selection of classes (with exceptions), so I feel it’s somewhat of an imperative to show that I’m qualified through taking the more difficult classes offered for my m/m combo. The reason I’m inclined NOT to take said classes, though, is because I would like to hone in on the LSAT severely for the next 6 months. So, basically, should I sacrifice a intense semester for LSAT studies presuming I would have significantly more time to study for the LSAT… or should I manage both? (Looking at TL14’s).

vanwinkle

Re: Curriculum Management

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm

1) Easier classes, but for a different reason. If you want to go to law school, your GPA matters above all else right now, since you can't change it later. Your goal right now is to graduate with the highest possible GPA. That's it. Take "easy" classes.

2) Don't rush to take the LSAT, or to go to law school for that matter. You don't have to go to law school right away. And again, it's better to get your GPA up as much as possible, you can always retake the LSAT but you can't retake college.

3) Nobody will really care what individual classes you took.

4) 6 months? Really? 2-3 months of solid study is enough for most people.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:00 am

vanwinkle wrote:4) 6 months? Really? 2-3 months of solid study is enough for most people.

I agree with everything else, but definitely not this part. Based on having taught numerous prep classes for one of the well-regarded companies, two to three months is enough for the bulk of the more talented students. But even then the most determinative factor is how many other work or school commitments the student has. Two to three months is definitely not enough for most students (in the non-TLS world) to make all of the significant gains they can.

tokenchris

Postby tokenchris » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks guys, that clears things up. Waiting a cycle to fully hone the LSAT is seeming like more and more of a good idea. I just don't know what I would do with a Electromechanical engineering/Disaster Science Management degrees. Though it seems the trend in top schools is towards students coming in after a year of undergrad, so I figure there must be some hidden advantage in doing such.
Last edited by tokenchris on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote:2) Don't rush to take the LSAT, or to go to law school for that matter. You don't have to go to law school right away. And again, it's better to get your GPA up as much as possible, you can always retake the LSAT but you can't retake college.

I agree with Ti Malice's note in the other post.

I wanted to make a quick point about this one - take the LSAT while you're still in school, unless you can take time off from EVERYTHING after you graduate. The score will stay on your record for 5 years, and I can guarantee you that studying will be easier while in school than while working full (or, for most people, even part) time.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”