Cornell "influenced to apply" question?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrispyreddit

Cornell "influenced to apply" question?

Postby chrispyreddit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Going through my cornell app, it looks like there's a required question asking for the names of individuals who influenced you to apply to cornell.

What?

Do they really just want a list of names? Or should I offer some context/explanation? What if I don't really have any names?

How should I treat this question?

thanks!

jttoplawschools93

Re: Cornell "influenced to apply" question?

Postby jttoplawschools93 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:07 pm

i didn't have any names so I just wrote not applicable or something like that
can't like make names up so can't do anything else

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm

I dare you to put "Jesus"

mandyjay11

Postby mandyjay11 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:45 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:I dare you to put "Jesus"

LMAO

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 pm

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Andy Bernard obv.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Superman and Jesus.

akg144

Postby akg144 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 am

This is a great section for name dropping: Bill Clinton, Usher, the Dalai Lama - all close friends delivered the same message in hand written notes to your door - Cornell Law or bust.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:40 am

Plenty of people don't know a Cornell alum who influenced them. Look up a faculty member, dean, or alumni doing something in the news and write about how they influenced you to do more research about the school. It shouldn't be too hard. The school will post stuff whenever their people show up in the news.

redsox

Postby redsox » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:25 am

Trout et al wrote:Plenty of people don't know a Cornell alum who influenced them. Look up a faculty member, dean, or alumni doing something in the news and write about how they influenced you to do more research about the school. It shouldn't be too hard. The school will post stuff whenever their people show up in the news.

Yeah but that would be a lie.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 am

redsox wrote:
Trout et al wrote:Plenty of people don't know a Cornell alum who influenced them. Look up a faculty member, dean, or alumni doing something in the news and write about how they influenced you to do more research about the school. It shouldn't be too hard. The school will post stuff whenever their people show up in the news.

It certainly would not. "Influenced" is a fluid concept, and could be contributory. Just starting the Cornell application does not mean you can no longer be influenced to apply by other factors, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that uncovering more factors couldn't lead you to do more research about the school. Thus, no "lie."

redsox

Postby redsox » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:42 am

Trout et al wrote:
redsox wrote:

It certainly would not. "Influenced" is a fluid concept, and could be contributory. Just starting the Cornell application does not mean you can no longer be influenced to apply by other factors, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that uncovering more factors couldn't lead you to do more research about the school. Thus, no "lie."

Dude, that's total bullshit. Please tell me you don't actually believe that. OP - I suggest not answering the question. Don't let the law school application process rob you of your dignity. Your legal career will do so soon enough.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:44 am

Trout et al wrote:
redsox wrote:

This is bad advice and you should feel bad.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:05 am

I left it blank and got in (and attended).

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:12 am

midwest17 wrote:
Trout et al wrote:
redsox wrote:

This is bad advice and you should feel bad.

I wasn't answering the question to promote lying. I was trying to provide useful advice beyond "Jesus" or "Andy Bernard." The world isn't so black and white, and the question can be taken many ways. My honest reaction is "Oh, that's a good question. I don't have an answer for it yet so I obviously haven't done enough thoughtful research about the school."

I really don't think this reaction is bad-intentioned at all, it's just a recognition that maybe you haven't done enough thoughtful research about the people that make it a great institution.

But, by all means, if you think my advice constitutes lying and that the question was simply designed to weed out those people who already have connections to the institution then answer "Jesus" or "Andy Bernard."

dcoppo01

Postby dcoppo01 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:13 pm

If it weren't for The Office I probably would not have considered applying to Cornell, so I am very tempted to put Andy Bernard.

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:04 am

This sounds like bullshit to me. I think they're going to see right through an answer like that. I think this is a sneaky way of finding out if you are a Cornell Law legacy or near-legacy, and if you're not I doubt your answer really matters.

The Dark Kite

Postby The Dark Kite » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:28 am

+1... bump.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”