Strategy question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawapp2014
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Strategy question

Postby lawapp2014 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey everyone. I am applying to law school this cycle and want some feedback on which is the more strategic move. My GPA is a 3.89, but my grades this semester would bump it up to a 3.91. Should I:

A. Delay my applications for a week or two to send in a transcript with my new GPA
B. Send in my applications with my GPA as is and then later on send out an "update" to schools

Thank you.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

What's your LSAT? There are a couple of schools in the T14 where the difference between a 3.89 and a 3.91 might push you over their median, or over their 75th, but in general I don't think the extra .02 is going to dramatically change your attractiveness to the adcomms. But acceptances are already going out, and seats are filling up, so I don't think I'd delay applications for two weeks just to avoid having to send an update later.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Definitely send your applications now. 0.02 isn't a huge jump, and you're not going to get dinged before you send in the update anyways. But this way you'll be complete by the time your new GPA gets there.

lawapp2014
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby lawapp2014 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:38 pm

167 and just retook in December. Hoping for something in the low 170s

User avatar
wowhio
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby wowhio » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Definitely submit now. It would have been even better to apply even earlier, the bonus is way more that .02 on your GPA.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:12 pm

wowhio wrote:Definitely submit now. It would have been even better to apply even earlier, the bonus is way more that .02 on your GPA.


I think this is overstating it. The early application bonus isn't huge. The main advantage will be that you'll get decisions earlier.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Strategy question

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:54 am

lawapp2014 wrote:167 and just retook in December. Hoping for something in the low 170s

If you took the December LSAT, then they won't look at your application until the score is released anyway, which is probably going to be after the new year. So assuming you can get the transcript in within the next week or so it's not going to cost you anything. If you can't get the transcript that fast then don't bother delaying for it (especially because LSAC might take forever to process it, which could make your delay much longer than you planned). It's only going to put you over Chicago and Yale's median anyway. It won't matter at Y so unless Chi is for your first first choice don't bother.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby bp shinners » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 pm

malleus discentium wrote:
lawapp2014 wrote:167 and just retook in December. Hoping for something in the low 170s

If you took the December LSAT, then they won't look at your application until the score is released anyway, which is probably going to be after the new year. So assuming you can get the transcript in within the next week or so it's not going to cost you anything. If you can't get the transcript that fast then don't bother delaying for it (especially because LSAC might take forever to process it, which could make your delay much longer than you planned). It's only going to put you over Chicago and Yale's median anyway. It won't matter at Y so unless Chi is for your first first choice don't bother.


With the holidays coming up, it's going to take some time to process the transcript. Especially since everyone and their mother (for the helicopter parents) will be sending in their materials around now.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Strategy question

Postby malleus discentium » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:45 pm

bp shinners wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:
lawapp2014 wrote:167 and just retook in December. Hoping for something in the low 170s

If you took the December LSAT, then they won't look at your application until the score is released anyway, which is probably going to be after the new year. So assuming you can get the transcript in within the next week or so it's not going to cost you anything. If you can't get the transcript that fast then don't bother delaying for it (especially because LSAC might take forever to process it, which could make your delay much longer than you planned). It's only going to put you over Chicago and Yale's median anyway. It won't matter at Y so unless Chi is for your first first choice don't bother.


With the holidays coming up, it's going to take some time to process the transcript. Especially since everyone and their mother (for the helicopter parents) will be sending in their materials around now.

Fair enough. The real question, then, is whether applications can be sent with the older transcripts already on file even if LSAC is meanwhile processing a new one. Obviously if a new transcript in process would stop applications even with transcripts on file then it's a bad move. I wouldn't suspect that this would be the case but I don't really know. If the OP wants to find that out it would probably make the choice clear but I think, as we've said, it's probably not worth a delay.

lawapp2014
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Re: Strategy question

Postby lawapp2014 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Thank you!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: goldenbear2020, incognito_mode13, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests