Resume Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gobrue

Resume Question

Postby gobrue » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Should I put on my resume that I've worked at the dining hall at my school the last year? I have had other more "prestigious" jobs during the time like research assistant, but I don't know how they would view something more menial. Thanks guys

jabberwocky_phlegm

Re: Resume Question

Postby jabberwocky_phlegm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I think it's good to have 1 menial job on your resume because it shows you're not a spoiled, elitist pig-dog. But spending more than 1 line talking about that job or other menial jobs will give you diminishing returns.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 pm

jabberwocky_phlegm wrote:I think it's good to have 1 menial job on your resume because it shows you're not a spoiled, elitist pig-dog. But spending more than 1 line talking about that job or other menial jobs will give you diminishing returns.

Agreed, particularly about keeping it brief. Plus, while it's justifiable to leave off old jobs (like from high school), I think it's harder to rationalize leaving one job off while reporting other job(s) from the same time period.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm

The above answers are correct but it also depends on how much other stuff is on the resume. If you have no other work experience you definitely want to include it. Also make sure you have at least a full page.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”