Specific things to have included in a LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
izzy895

Specific things to have included in a LOR?

Postby izzy895 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi all, just a general question for a LOR. I'm going to be requesting a letter from an attorney I worked for, we have a good relationship so I can ask him to include specific evaluations. Is there anything that admissions would like to see touched on in particular? I know academic evaluations are important so I will be asking if he could include some evaluation on research type stuff I did. Or maybe I'm misguided, anyways would really appreciate some feedback!

PalmBay

Re: Specific things to have included in a LOR?

Postby PalmBay » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Anything meaningful that advances you as a candidate.
Admissions uses your application to gauge how you will:
1) succeed in law school
2) add something unique to the class

On point 1, things like your work ethic, ability to comprehend, your productivity, your enthusiasm... anything that helps admissions evaluate how well you will fare at their law school.

On point 2, which I feel is slightly less important than point 1, are what are generally seen as the "softs", your unique skills (foreign languages), experiences (travel), some projects you've worked on, etc.

So as to your question, sure, ask the attorney for a LOR. Be careful not to just have him submit a review of the research you did. It's fine that he writes about it, but the evaluation has to tie into points 1 and 2 above for an effective LOR.

Just my opinion, note that I'm just another applicant, so I don't profess to be omniscient over the process. Good luck!

izzy895

Re: Specific things to have included in a LOR?

Postby izzy895 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:21 pm

No that's exactly what i was looking, for you worded it perfectly. Thanks a lot!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”