Yale LSAT addendum? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dominican_Lawyer

New

Yale LSAT addendum?

Post by Dominican_Lawyer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

So the only app I have left to do is Yale. On one of discussions I read that Yale may "seriously" take LSAT retakes into consideration. I took three times with a cancel 162 and 175. Do you think that it is worth writing an LSAT addendum for Yale? I have not done so for any of the other school I applied to.

TigerDude

Bronze

Re: Yale LSAT addendum?

Post by TigerDude » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:48 pm

It can't hurt if you can quickly explain it.

LochnerMonster

New

Post by LochnerMonster » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm

I'm a YLS 1L and a fellow retaker.

I don't think you need to write an addendum. I don't think they care. Many retakers apply every year -- they're well acquainted with the phenomenon. From my conversations with classmates, it seems like there are plenty of people who took the LSAT multiple times. Also, it doesn't really seem to fit with the YLS Admissions staff's vibe to make a big deal about retakes.

In your situation, I think writing an addendum can only hurt you. It's another chance to screw up by saying the wrong thing.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Unless there's a good reason* don't write an addendum.

*I studied more and got better isn't a good reason. Neither is "I froze on the first test."

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't recall ever having read or heard of any LSAT addendum that I found compelling. I wouldn't write one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Ti Malice wrote:I don't recall ever having read or heard of any LSAT addendum that I found compelling. I wouldn't write one.
The only one I've ever read that worked was from a student who spoke Chinese natively, took the LSAT, did poorly, took an intense English-language course, and then did much better. Their addendum was also beautifully written, thus reinforcing the theme.

Dominican_Lawyer

New

Post by Dominican_Lawyer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will be buying my scratchoff err.. I mean applying to yls tomorrow without the addendum.

Philafaler

New

Post by Philafaler » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Dominican_Lawyer wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I will be buying my scratchoff err.. I mean applying to yls tomorrow without the addendum.
lol. Good luck.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:07 am

bp shinners wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:I don't recall ever having read or heard of any LSAT addendum that I found compelling. I wouldn't write one.
The only one I've ever read that worked was from a student who spoke Chinese natively, took the LSAT, did poorly, took an intense English-language course, and then did much better. Their addendum was also beautifully written, thus reinforcing the theme.
Now that you mention it, I did hear of something similar once, though it wasn't with any applicant I worked with. I agree that that's the exceedingly rare sort of circumstance that warrants an addendum. For native speakers, though, I've still never encountered an LSAT addendum that I thought added any value at all. No matter whether it's the death/illness of a close relative, having the flu/a migraine, or hearing a jackhammer outside of the testing center for three hours, the question that first comes to my mind -- and to the mind of every adcomm, I feel safe in surmising -- is, "Wouldn't common sense dictate taking an absence or canceling in this circumstance?" The second and more important thought is, "That's really unfortunate. However, unlike your GPA, you get do-overs with the LSAT. Just take it again under better circumstances and apply later."

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
bp shinners wrote:
Now that you mention it, I did hear of something similar once, though it wasn't with any applicant I worked with. I agree that that's the exceedingly rare sort of circumstance that warrants an addendum. For native speakers, though, I've still never encountered an LSAT addendum that I thought added any value at all. No matter whether it's the death/illness of a close relative, having the flu/a migraine, or hearing a jackhammer outside of the testing center for three hours, the question that first comes to my mind -- and to the mind of every adcomm, I feel safe in surmising -- is, "Wouldn't common sense dictate taking an absence or canceling in this circumstance?" The second and more important thought is, "That's really unfortunate. However, unlike your GPA, you get do-overs with the LSAT. Just take it again under better circumstances and apply later."
My thoughts exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”