Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby usernotfound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:29 am

Hey guys,

So I just took the December LSAT, which was my first time taking the exam. If I meet my threshold(170), I'm going to try to be applying as soon as I can after that. However, I'm not entirely confident that I did get a 170 or above. I wouldn't preclude the possibility, but I'm not certain by any means because I often score slightly worse than I thought due to careless mistakes and time constraints. If I don't I'll most likely sit out a cycle and retake in June and or February/October.

So in terms of my applications, what do people in this situation normally do? I'm looking to apply to mainly T14 schools, from CNN down to GULC. I want to have my applications as complete as possible by ~Jan 3, when the scores come out, but I don't want to fill them all out if I don't meet the score threshold. I have my transcripts and letters of recommendation filed, my resume is complete, I'm working on my PS currently, and I'm just waiting for the LSAT score. So, from what it looks like, looking over the applications it looks like pretty basic information that's required to be completed in addition to the main requirements mentioned previously.

My question is, should I wait to fill out apps until I get my score? I suppose I have most of the requirements for the apps completed, but how long does each app itself take to complete? Are why "x law school" essays necessary?

New to this whole thing and I didn't find any other threads particularly relevant. Thanks!

kimhj9203
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:28 am

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby kimhj9203 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:42 am

I also have the same question!
I just took the december lsat, and am wondering when to submit my application.

A representative from Stanford I talked to told me it would be a good idea to submit the application as soon as it's ready even before the score comes out, because it takes a couple days/weeks for the application to get processed anyways. Once you submit it, they'll create a file for you and wait until the score comes in.

My concern is that I might not want to apply this cycle if my december score isn't what I expected, in which case I'll most likely do a retake and apply next cycle.

Do you know if we can submit the application, and then choose to not send our LSAT scores after it comes out, or will the score be automatically sent to those schools?

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:49 am

kimhj9203 wrote:I also have the same question!
I just took the december lsat, and am wondering when to submit my application.

A representative from Stanford I talked to told me it would be a good idea to submit the application as soon as it's ready even before the score comes out, because it takes a couple days/weeks for the application to get processed anyways. Once you submit it, they'll create a file for you and wait until the score comes in.

My concern is that I might not want to apply this cycle if my december score isn't what I expected, in which case I'll most likely do a retake and apply next cycle.

Do you know if we can submit the application, and then choose to not send our LSAT scores after it comes out, or will the score be automatically sent to those schools?


Why would it matter, they'll see that December score regardless even if you decide to apply next year. Just withdraw your application if you decide to apply next year instead...

kimhj9203
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:28 am

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby kimhj9203 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:56 am

Well, given that my Dec. score is good, I'd like to submit my applications early so as to take advantage of the "rolling process".

But considering the possibility that the score isn't good, I would want to wait until I get a better score to apply, regardless of my Dec. score showing up, since some schools don't average scores. Hence the dilemma.

HYSenberg
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby HYSenberg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 am

They won't review your application before it's complete anyway, which will only be after the Dec score is released.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 am

It's worth waiting until after scores come out to save the app fee if your scores aren't high enough.

But OP, just full out the apps. It isn't hard.

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby usernotfound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 am

midwest17 wrote:It's worth waiting until after scores come out to save the app fee if your scores aren't high enough.

But OP, just full out the apps. It isn't hard.


Yeah, I'll try and get most of it done in my free time as the apps look pretty basic, but I have have to focus on my P.S. at the moment. Do you have any advise on "why X law school" statements? I've been told many T6 schools like them. Thanks.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:06 am

usernotfound wrote:
midwest17 wrote:It's worth waiting until after scores come out to save the app fee if your scores aren't high enough.

But OP, just full out the apps. It isn't hard.


Yeah, I'll try and get most of it done in my free time as the apps look pretty basic, but I have have to focus on my P.S. at the moment. Do you have any advise on "why X law school" statements? I've been told many T6 schools like them. Thanks.


I don't think they're necessary for T6. Can help in the rest of the T14. If you have something to say, write it.

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby usernotfound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:11 pm

midwest17 wrote:
usernotfound wrote:
midwest17 wrote:It's worth waiting until after scores come out to save the app fee if your scores aren't high enough.

But OP, just full out the apps. It isn't hard.


Yeah, I'll try and get most of it done in my free time as the apps look pretty basic, but I have have to focus on my P.S. at the moment. Do you have any advise on "why X law school" statements? I've been told many T6 schools like them. Thanks.


I don't think they're necessary for T6. Can help in the rest of the T14. If you have something to say, write it.


Are there any threads that have guides to deal with that sort of thing? I personally don't have a massive urge to go to one school over another, and I feel like the statement would be pretty generic.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:16 pm

usernotfound wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
usernotfound wrote:
midwest17 wrote:It's worth waiting until after scores come out to save the app fee if your scores aren't high enough.

But OP, just full out the apps. It isn't hard.


Yeah, I'll try and get most of it done in my free time as the apps look pretty basic, but I have have to focus on my P.S. at the moment. Do you have any advise on "why X law school" statements? I've been told many T6 schools like them. Thanks.


I don't think they're necessary for T6. Can help in the rest of the T14. If you have something to say, write it.


Are there any threads that have guides to deal with that sort of thing? I personally don't have a massive urge to go to one school over another, and I feel like the statement would be pretty generic.


You can probably find some discussions by searching around. The basic advice is to find some clinics/courses/programs that are unique to that school and relevant to your interests. Or talk about ties to the school or region. But they really aren't a huge deal. I doubt a "Why" essay would get you in when your numbers wouldn't. They're mostly about fighting YP if you're way above a school's numbers.

User avatar
usernotfound
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby usernotfound » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 pm


You can probably find some discussions by searching around. The basic advice is to find some clinics/courses/programs that are unique to that school and relevant to your interests. Or talk about ties to the school or region. But they really aren't a huge deal. I doubt a "Why" essay would get you in when your numbers wouldn't. They're mostly about fighting YP if you're way above a school's numbers.


Cool, thanks for the help.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2200
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:30 am

I took my first LSAT in December 2012 and I scored a 169 after PTing in the 168 to 172 range. I decided to sit out a cycle and prep for a June retake. I already had a job for the next year so there wasn't much opportunity cost in deferring. While prepping for June, I got my PT score up into the mid 170s and then I flaked and scored a 170 in June and then hit my PT average in October and got a 175. In 1 year I went from Penn being a reach school to Penn potentially yield protecting me. Take your time with the LSAT and good things will come.

User avatar
inyoureyes89
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby inyoureyes89 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm in this position too-- I want to apply once my December LSAT scores are out. My apps are completely done (save for a few "Why X" essays). However, none of my recs are in. Should I bother submitting my applications before I have recs?

User avatar
wealtheow
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Applying as soon as December LSAT scores come in?

Postby wealtheow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:32 pm

inyoureyes89 wrote:I'm in this position too-- I want to apply once my December LSAT scores are out. My apps are completely done (save for a few "Why X" essays). However, none of my recs are in. Should I bother submitting my applications before I have recs?


depends on where you are applying/how good you're thinking your recs will be. i've noticed a lot of schools say that once their LOR requirement is in (for some schools it's just 1!) they begin review of the file. so if you want ALL of your LORs considered, that's something to keep in mind!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arthrod and 7 guests