Questions for Canadians studying at US law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
admiringatticus

Questions for Canadians studying at US law school

Postby admiringatticus » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:23 am

Hello all,

Can someone who is Canadian and studying at a US law school please PM me to help me out with a few questions (or someone who is applying and knows about this)? I'm confused about the visa process because I'm hearing different things. I was under the impression that you only need the I-20 form at the border and that you don't need a F1 visa as a Canadian studying in the US (at least from what it looks like here: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas ... visas.html). But then I've also heard that you are assigned F1 status at the border when you cross over. I'm confused in part because I thought the F1 had implications for employment - that you can be employed for a short amount of time on an F1 issue.

Also, did you receive any gift/merit aid as a Canadian? It seems to me that some schools give Canadians merit aid and others you aren't eligible for it. For example, UC - Davis does not give merit aid to those who are on a F1 or J1 visa. So if you actually don't need to get an F1 visa as a Canadian then I'm assuming you might be eligible for gift aid in that circumstance?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”