Recommender and/or Evaluator?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
taylorswiftfan

Recommender and/or Evaluator?

Postby taylorswiftfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm trying to add my professors to the LSAC Recommenders drop down menu. However, while doing that, I noticed that there was an option for professors to be selected as: Recommenders, Evaluators, and Recommenders/Evaluators.

I just asked my professors for LORs because I assumed that is all they needed to submit. I didn't know they also had to submit an Evaluation on top of submitting an LOR. So now I'm confused.

What is the difference between a recommender and an evaluator? When/under what circumstances should you send an evaluation? Or are you supposed to have professors send both in?

I got the impression that most schools don't require an evaluator, but would like this to be clarified.

Thanks

midwest17

Re: Recommender and/or Evaluator?

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

Evaluations are useless.*

*Unless a school you're applying to specifically asks for them.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 pm

midwest17 wrote:Evaluations are useless.*

*Unless a school you're applying to specifically asks for them.

Yea, and very few do.

It's essentially that card you get with your bill at a restaurant, only it's about you instead of the food and service. Everyone gets 10s.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I did not see any schools that required an evaluation when I was applying. Has anybody actually come across this?

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 am

Gooner91 wrote:I did not see any schools that required an evaluation when I was applying. Has anybody actually come across this?

I've never heard of people doing it. Heck, why does the LSAC even offer it anymore if it is useless in the process in comparison to a letter of recommendation?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Tyr wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:I did not see any schools that required an evaluation when I was applying. Has anybody actually come across this?

I've never heard of people doing it. Heck, why does the LSAC even offer it anymore if it is useless in the process in comparison to a letter of recommendation?

probably trying something to see if it would catch on. I bet it isn't avaialbe all that much longer, although I suppose keeping it harms no one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”