Taking 2 years off

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bohemiandaisy

Taking 2 years off

Postby bohemiandaisy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Hey all,

Just decided to cancel my score from this weekend. I have a 4.1 CAS GPA and great softs, so some folks here are advising me to retake the test in June and apply earlier in the cycle next year. Who knows. I could get a merit scholarship.

My GPA was earned within 3 years (I had family/financial issues and had to graduate early, but I pulled it off with great grades. I received every honors that my college had and I am a Phi Betta Kappa member). I double majored in English and French. Would taking 2 years off look bad?

Pancakes12

Re: Taking 2 years off

Postby Pancakes12 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:43 pm

No, that's actually a good idea. But your poor grades may be frowned upon.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:46 pm

bohemiandaisy wrote: Would taking 2 years off look bad?

No.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Time off doesn't look bad. There's no rule that going straight from undergrad to law school is the "proper" approach. In fact, take a look at the average age of incoming law school classes. If you're coming straight from undergrad, a lot of times you'll be among the youngest.

Take the 2 years off, get your LSAT up. You have a great GPA so there's no reason why you can't study diligently for the LSAT and get an awesome score.

Use the time off to your advantage. Get work experience, law schools will love it. Volunteer, make connections, create relationships, explore the world, who knows, but the 2 years off has a lot of potential to add to your candidacy if you decide to work at it.

Also, have you already taken the year off?
Or are you saying you'll take two years off from now?

If you're taking 2 years off to pursue whatever else, don't take the next immediate LSAT, use all that time to study for the LSAT.

bohemiandaisy

Postby bohemiandaisy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 pm

I just took the LSAT. I thought I was so ready, but a lack of sleep the night before (didn't sleep at all) and puking on test day didn't help me much. I don't think I was comfortable enough to take the test. I exhausted my prep material, so I knew everything. I guess I didn't do enough PTs in timed conditions.

So I will take the June LSAT. And to answer your question, this is my first gap year. I graduated in June. I took time off for the LSAT and to work on applications. I guess I am doing that for another year.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm

bohemiandaisy wrote:I just took the LSAT. I thought I was so ready, but a lack of sleep the night before (didn't sleep at all) and puking on test day didn't help me much. I don't think I was comfortable enough to take the test. I exhausted my prep material, so I knew everything. I guess I didn't do enough PTs in timed conditions.

So I will take the June LSAT. And to answer your question, this is my first gap year. I graduated in June. I took time off for the LSAT and to work on applications. I guess I am doing that for another year.

Get a job. You don't want a two year gap on your resume.

bohemiandaisy

Postby bohemiandaisy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Oops, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that I have a file clerk position at a Biglaw firm here in LA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”