Calculating GPA: Do they look at numbers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
camcam

Calculating GPA: Do they look at numbers?

Postby camcam » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:18 pm

I couldn't find an answer to my question on the forum through searching, so I apologize if I'm being redundant.

I want to know if LSAC looks at number grades or just letter grades in calculating your GPA. This is important to me for 2 separate reasons:

My school goes by the typical +/- system, but some professors choose not to follow it. Because of this, I have at least one class where I have a UG 4.0 when I only made a 90 in the class. If LSAC does look at numbers, should I expect that this will be considered an A-?

On the opposite end, I have a 103 (due to ungodly amounts of extra credit) in one of my classes, and I wanted to know if they will recognize that as an A+, though it will only be labeled as an A on my transcript.

Thanks for your help!

Nova

Re: Calculating GPA: Do they look at numbers?

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

just letter grades

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:25 pm

LSAC doesn't have anything to go by other than the official transcripts that your college(s) send to them. If your grade appears as an 'A' on the transcript, LSAC will assign it a 4.0, even if there's a 103 in your professor's grade book in his desk.

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 pm

To my knowledge LSAC only look at letter grades.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”