Law school "legacy status"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amw5471

Law school "legacy status"

Postby amw5471 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm

This has been bugging me since I submitted my applications. Does being a legacy help you at all? I was pretty surprised to be filling out information about relatives that had attended some of the schools I had applied to, I just wouldn't have thought it would be a "thing" for law school apps.

The other question is, say legacy status is a helpful thing is it a) only helpful if said relative went to the law school, b) more helpful if the relative went to the law school over undergrad/grad/medical school, or c) equally helpful to have a relative that that attended the school, law or otherwise.

This is purely for personal interest, I attempted to do a search but could only find "what are my chances" for individuals. Thanks!

hichvichwoh

Re: Law school "legacy status"

Postby hichvichwoh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Is there a building on campus with your last name on it? Benches don't count.

amw5471

Postby amw5471 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Does it count if my last name is just decently common so yes...but not related?

Sorry, I assumed it was not an asset to your application I just wanted to know for curiosity's sake! I don't start my next internship until January so I have a lot of time on my hands.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Probably can't hurt, though not sure if it'll help.

Might make adcoms think you'd have a greater chance of matriculating if accepted.

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:42 pm

It won't help.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:10 pm

If you have to ask us, no, it won't help.

If you had those kind of connections, you'd know it.

RCO2012

Postby RCO2012 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:00 pm

May be a very tiny feather on the scale. As always, if your numbers and other softs won't get you into the school, this won't either. However, if you have an identical candidate with no legacy, then yes this tiny little feather may tip the scales ever so slightly in your favor. Also, it's important that they go to the law school, anything outside of the law school and I would say the feather would disappear.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:38 pm

I am pretty certain they DO give an advantage to those applicants whose parents or family also went to the same school.
As you probably already know, private schools rely upon private contributions (meaning alumni) for funding. It's harder to ask a certain alumni for money if you just denied entry to their child.

No, I'm not saying it's a huge boost or even a noticeable one, but it is a "soft-soft" consideration.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”