Does a state or CC matter for just a minor?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tess1989

Does a state or CC matter for just a minor?

Postby Tess1989 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:54 pm

I have already obtained my B.S. degree from a small, private liberal arts college. I'm currently taking 2 years off before attending law school, but I wanted to obtain a language (probably Spanish) minor in this intervening time. I have the option to attend a well known state school or a well respected community college. Does it really matter to the law school which I attend since I already have my B.S.? I have a very good GPA and am retaking the LSAT (the first time it was just slightly higher than the average taker). I am also looking at attending law school at either Duke, Berkely, or Lewis and Clark.

smallbrownbear

Re: Does a state or CC matter for just a minor?

Postby smallbrownbear » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Tess1989 wrote:I have already obtained my B.S. degree from a small, private liberal arts college. I'm currently taking 2 years off before attending law school, but I wanted to obtain a language (probably Spanish) minor in this intervening time. I have the option to attend a well known state school or a well respected community college. Does it really matter to the law school which I attend since I already have my B.S.? I have a very good GPA and am retaking the LSAT (the first time it was just slightly higher than the average taker). I am also looking at attending law school at either Duke, Berkely, or Lewis and Clark.

you can get a minor by itself? huh. always thought a minor had to be earned in conjunction with a major.

but, no. it doesn't matter. at all. Go with the CC, it'll likely be easier and cheaper.

But this is just for law school. If you have other reasons for wanting more education where it might matter, the equation may change

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Tess1989 wrote:I have already obtained my B.S. degree from a small, private liberal arts college. I'm currently taking 2 years off before attending law school, but I wanted to obtain a language (probably Spanish) minor in this intervening time. I have the option to attend a well known state school or a well respected community college. Does it really matter to the law school which I attend since I already have my B.S.? I have a very good GPA and am retaking the LSAT (the first time it was just slightly higher than the average taker). I am also looking at attending law school at either Duke, Berkely, or Lewis and Clark.

TCR says that none of this will really matter. What WILL matter is an impeccable LSAT score. Also, what is a "very good" GPA? You are going to have to do a LOT of work to make your goals happen but they are certainly not out of reach with the right work ethic, a good attitude, and proper training. I am assuming your score is around a 155 or so - you need to up that by at least 13 points to have a shot at sticker and 16 points or so to make attending the most worthwhile opportunity.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:36 pm

Your GPA is locked in since you already obtained your BS, so you're good. Take all the CC classes you want. No one will care if it's not prestigious or whatever.

Also, Duke, Berkeley, and Lewis and Clark? That's quite a range. If you want a legit shot at the first two, you should really devote a LOT of time to the LSAT. You're going to need to get into the 95+ percentile LSAT wise.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah, it doesn't matter. I also wouldn't recommend focusing on the "minor" - the credential isn't going to matter, ever. What might make a difference, in some careers, at least, is attaining fluency. Focus on that. Maybe a minor comes along with that, but it shouldn't be the goal.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”