Shootin' for HLS

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tokenchris

Shootin' for HLS

Postby tokenchris » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm

3.89 applying next cycle with LSAT in next June/October. Public school (sigh) and some decent soft factors. My first semester of undergrad, I received a full semester non-punitive w's (had personal/family issues, changed schools). Is previous statement a problem? And is there anything HLS looks for more specifically? Lastly, I presume that HLS will see only my GPA from my first three years of undergrad as I'll be applying before my senior year? So is that the GPA they use to judge my Application or will they wait until the end of the first semester. (I'm really trying to get it up from a couple of mistakes my first semester, and I had calculated my future GPA without previous statement in mind).

ltrego

Re: Shootin' for HLS

Postby ltrego » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:42 pm

They'll only see your first 3 yrs. GPA, unless you wait a year. If you wait, they'll see your senior year.

As for the W's, you'll probably want to write an addendum explaining the circumstances.

And you need to study for the LSAT. That's probably the most important.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:06 am

Your #1 concern needs to be LSAT score.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17 am

tokenchris wrote:Public school (sigh)

:?:

tokenchris wrote:My first semester of undergrad, I received a full semester non-punitive w's (had personal/family issues, changed schools). Is previous statement a problem?

No, but you'll want to include an addendum explaining what happened when you turn in your apps.

tokenchris wrote:Lastly, I presume that HLS will see only my GPA from my first three years of undergrad as I'll be applying before my senior year? So is that the GPA they use to judge my Application or will they wait until the end of the first semester. (I'm really trying to get it up from a couple of mistakes my first semester, and I had calculated my future GPA without previous statement in mind).

If you turn in your application before you get your fall grades, they'll only see the first three years. You can send an updated transcript to LSAC after you get fall grades and they'll update the schools; whether that grade is considered at that point depends on where you are in the review process.

For Yale, at least, you can wait until after you get your fall grades to submit if you want, since there's no early application bump there.

ETA: focus on the LSAT.

tokenchris

Postby tokenchris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:04 am

I see. Thank you for the insight, I've been studying for the LSAT off/on but definitely need kick it in to high gear. I have one more thing I forgot to mention; I will have some 'intersession' classes that are roughly 10 days/2 weeks on my transcript. I mean, I don't know if anyone would actually know the answer to this, but are these kind of classes legitimate in the eyes of a law school? I almost feel like I'm cheating by taking these classes.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:06 am

tokenchris wrote:I see. Thank you for the insight, I've been studying for the LSAT off/on but definitely need kick it in to high gear. I have one more thing I forgot to mention; I will have some 'intersession' classes that are roughly 10 days/2 weeks on my transcript. I mean, I don't know if anyone would actually know the answer to this, but are these kind of classes legitimate in the eyes of a law school? I almost feel like I'm cheating by taking these classes.

If they have credit hours and were given at an accredited school, they are real classes. Credit hours don't look at how many days a class met, but how many hours. You can jam a lot of hours into 10 days.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 am

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 am

tokenchris wrote:Public school (sigh)

I would also like to hear more about this.

ClownQuestionBroz

Postby ClownQuestionBroz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am

I love to see people shootin' for the stars. But, gunnin' for Harvard? So are 45k other people who will be applying in the same cycle as you. Focus on the LSAT. That's all that matters.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 am

Gun for a high LSAT. It's the best way to differentiate yourself from other applicants.

Also, see below for a link of all of the UGs that Harvard Law students attended. I guarantee that at least one of those schools is ranked lower than the school that you go to:

http://law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/a ... grads.html

tokenchris

Postby tokenchris » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks again. In regards to the public school comment; I was presuming that there's an institutional bias towards private/ivy league. I see that I am wrong.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:44 pm

jingosaur wrote:Gun for a high LSAT. It's the best way to differentiate yourself from other applicants.

Also, see below for a link of all of the UGs that Harvard Law students attended. I guarantee that at least one of those schools is ranked lower than the school that you go to:

I did a quick scan of the list and I didn't see any Iowa schools. :(

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Tyr wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Gun for a high LSAT. It's the best way to differentiate yourself from other applicants.

This is clearly a very bad mark on Iowa's record. :D

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Tyr wrote:

This is clearly a very bad mark on Iowa's record. :D

I can just see getting an invite for an interview at Harvard...

Harvard: Oh, I see you graduated from an Iowa university.
Me: Yes. You see...
Harvard: No no. That is quite enough. Thank you for your time.

:lol:

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I went to a top 30 US News national university and my school isn't on the list.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Your undergrad by all accounts has a low (if any) effect on admissions. I wouldn't worry about it. Your focus is the LSAT.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”