should I pay for CCN

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

should I pay for CCN

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:59 am

no way I am getting a scholarship. Are these schools hands down worth the debt? Columbia's starting income is good, but I have some issues trusting such stats.

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: should I pay for CCN

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:34 am

Paying sticker at Columbia is one of the most debated issue on these boards. Personally, I would if I didn't get any money from MVPBNC. Usually though, if your numbers are good enough to get into Columbia, you will get money from at least one of those schools, in which case the decision comes down to personal preferences. Columbia is a great school with outstanding big law placement. But, if you don't want to work big law, or don't know if you can cut in that kind of environment for several years, then paying sticker is a terrible idea.

I don't like the idea of relying on an LRAP (unless it's Yale's). Schools like to get crafty with what they will and won't cover.

If Columbia is right on the borderline, than Chicago and NYU are a notch below it when it comes to employment numbers. They're both still defensible, but I personally wouldn't pay sticker for either.

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:If Columbia is right on the borderline, than Chicago and NYU is are a notch below it when it comes to employment numbers.

Additionally, Chicago's sticker is cheaper as well, COL in Chicago is less, and most people Chicago let in last year got at least 10k/year.

OP do you qualify for PAYE? (No fed loans taken out before October 2007)

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes. Like 40% of the class does and most don't regret it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”