Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bellacose
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Bellacose » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm

wolfgang wrote:I had a couple classes that i negated under my school's academic renewal policies. The credits attempted and received were both zero, but the lsac counted them as three unit classes. the lsac literally had no other information, I did not retake those classes, it just showed as zero units attempted and zero units received and they had no other context. counted as thee units, which is fine(ish) because they were three units. Still sucked though, I thought for sure they wouldn't be able to count them. I also spent hours and hours and hours on the phone and tried all of the above tactics.
so, yeah. My feeling is that they just have a set policy that when the units attempted is zero, they count it as a three unit class?


Thanks for the reply. It's really ridiculous that they say one thing and then do another. No school, even for zero credit classes, leaves the credits earned and attempted blank.

Further, they say that they omit courses from computation that are "assigned no measure of credit"; zero constitutes "no measure" in my opinion.

I do wonder though if I could get my community college to drop the zero and just leave the space blank if I were to explain the situation.

wolfgang
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby wolfgang » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:16 pm

I mean, I was upset, as well... but I also don't feel like they were necessarily 'saying one thing and doing another'. It's more like they had misleading language that they are interpreting in a silly manner. I can see where they're coming from, and I definitely don't think they're following the most logical interpretation of their policies. The most logical interpretation would be if zero=not calculated. But they have it set up in such a way that what they're doing is (just barely, in my opinion) defensible.

That being said, it seems like I'm not the only one being screwed by this policy. Anyone else who is in the same boat, PM me. Sadly, I gave up fighting it, but my cycle is far from over and if we put all our heads together perhaps we can figure out something that will be beneficial to all of us AND future generations.

Bellacose
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Bellacose » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm

I don't know, you have to do some pretty spectacular mental acrobatics to logically justify what they do.

They say that courses that are assigned no measure of credit are not counted

Further, they say that the original attempt of a repeated course is only counted if the credits and the grade are present.

Then, when a course is listed as having zero hours, they assign it 3 hours instead of not counting like they say they do; it seems to me that they don't follow their own policies.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:14 am

Personally, I think not counting retaken classes is utter bullshit. You took it, you earned the grade, you should damn well own it. I don't care if you were 16 and "immature" and "didn't know that college credits in high school would be important"; there are plenty of us who were 16 and got perfectly fine grades on our college credits in high school.

Bellacose
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Bellacose » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Personally, I think not counting retaken classes is utter bullshit. You took it, you earned the grade, you should damn well own it. I don't care if you were 16 and "immature" and "didn't know that college credits in high school would be important"; there are plenty of us who were 16 and got perfectly fine grades on our college credits in high school.


When you put quotations around a phrase you imply that I've actually said those things, which I haven't. I've never said I don't deserve to have them counted - I probably do - but, if the LSAC has a policy that could raise my LSDAS gpa from a 3.75 to a 4.0, I'd like them to stick to it.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Bellacose wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Personally, I think not counting retaken classes is utter bullshit. You took it, you earned the grade, you should damn well own it. I don't care if you were 16 and "immature" and "didn't know that college credits in high school would be important"; there are plenty of us who were 16 and got perfectly fine grades on our college credits in high school.


When you put quotations around a phrase you imply that I've actually said those things, which I haven't. I've never said I don't deserve to have them counted - I probably do - but, if the LSAC has a policy that could raise my LSDAS gpa from a 3.75 to a 4.0, I'd like them to stick to it.


He wasn't necessarily implying that you said them. Plenty of people have had the same complaint as you, and have said those things.

I'm not sure why you're still arguing about this here. There are two interpretations of the policy. You think one of them is more reasonable; people have told you that LSAC uses the other. Convincing TLS won't do you any good. If you're so convinced that you're right, call up LSAC and try to convince them.

Bellacose
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Bellacose » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm

midwest17 wrote:I'm not sure why you're still arguing about this here. There are two interpretations of the policy. You think one of them is more reasonable; people have told you that LSAC uses the other. Convincing TLS won't do you any good. If you're so convinced that you're right, call up LSAC and try to convince them.


I'm still commenting because people are still replying. If you look, you might notice that my last several comments have been in direct response to another poster.

User avatar
neprep
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby neprep » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Bellacose is pretty bellicose guys. Lay off.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Kimikho » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:17 pm

neprep wrote:Bellacose is pretty bellicose guys. Lay off.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

only u bb

Bellacose
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby Bellacose » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:04 pm

neprep wrote:Bellacose is pretty bellicose guys. Lay off.


SAY THAT TO MY FACE. :x

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Bellacose wrote: No school, even for zero credit classes, leaves the credits earned and attempted blank.


That seems like a pretty bold statement to make. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I've reviewed some transcripts that had the credits earned/attempted left blank (it would have been a CA or NY school).

wolfgang
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Lets talk about the LSAC and retaken courses.

Postby wolfgang » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Bellacose wrote: No school, even for zero credit classes, leaves the credits earned and attempted blank.


That seems like a pretty bold statement to make. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I've reviewed some transcripts that had the credits earned/attempted left blank (it would have been a CA or NY school).


Yeah, I'm pretty sure some schools do that in california at least. The california public school system, especially at the junior college level, does some weird things.

But, regardless of whether or not this actually happens, I think the point being made earlier—which, incidentally, aligns with my experience—is not so much that the requirement to have the class NOT counted as three units isn't so much that the credits are left blank. I believe that they were trying to account for situations where the units were actually unreadable... like, as mentioned, when some schools black the whole thing out (I know the some schools in california USED to do this) or whatever. So, in either case, the LSAC has a good reason for including this policy in there that might have nothing to do with zero-credit courses.

The other thing that I am just now noticing that gives me hope for YOU (but not for me, sadly) is that you got a C in your class, yeah? I failed mine. I don't know if that makes a difference or not to the LSAC. Stupid me for not noticing sooner, but that's definitely a difference between your case and (at least) my case. So maybe things will work out for you! Although I have no idea why they would distinguish between F's and C's like that...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rich29, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests