Advice Needed! Retake/cancel/postpone til 2015 cycle...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cml442

Advice Needed! Retake/cancel/postpone til 2015 cycle...?

Postby cml442 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 pm

Hey all!

So I'm fresh off the Dec 2013 LSAT (first time taker) and not feeling confident at all. I know that they say to wait around 48 hours until deciding whether to cancel, but I'm positive that I did not break 170 and there is a good chance I fell slightly below 160 (extremely disappointing as my cold diagnostic was around 162 and most PTs were in the high 160s). Most likely scored in the 158-165 range (damn Logic Games). UGPA is 3.771, worked all throughout UG (sometimes PT, but often FT), currently in the fifth year of my BA/MA program (have a BA, finishing up an MA) while working at a midsize law firm in NYC. I have 2 LORs from graduate professors, both of whom I've had small seminar courses with (they know who I am), one is tenured and the other is tenure-track and the latter was also my Undergraduate advisor. No extracurriculars (no time, I was working when not in school to pay for school), Dean's list a few semester (5 or 6), graduated UG cum laude.

The original plan was to apply for Fall 2014. Yes, I know that I started late, but I simply didn't have enough time/energy/$$ to study for the Oct 2013 LSAT. Given that the Dec 2013 score will be my only score when applying, and given it will definitely NOT be stellar, I feel that it's way too risky to apply that late in the cycle and with that mediocre of an LSAT score. Particularly because I'm aiming for the lower T14s and not willing to go below T25ish, and I also want at least some money. I feel fairly confident that if I study more once I've graduated in May 2014 and have more opportunity to focus I can break 170 on the next go-around.

Should I:

1. Keep this Dec 2013 score, retake in February 2014, aiming to break 170, and apply for Fall 2014 (post-Feb) to those schools still accepting Feb scores? or,
2. CANCEL this likely-horrendous Dec 2013 score, pretend it never happened, retake June/Oct 2014 and apply ASAP (November 1st at latest) in the Fall 2015 cycle? or
3. Keep this Dec 2013 score, retake in June/Oct 2014 and apply ASAP in Fall 2015?

I'm just really uncertain about the whole thing. Also, I've already requested LORs from everyone (2 targeted T14 LORs from firm partners that are alums of those T14s and who I personally work with and know me very well; and the 2 academic LORs discussed above) -- will it be possible to just use these LORs for Fall 2015? By the time I apply in October/November of next year they'd still be less than a year old.

More generally: is it AT ALL possible given my softs and my UGPA that I have a shot anywhere T25 with a projected December score somewhere within the range I suspect it is (158-165)? Say for instance I manage 162+, is it worth it to at least try this cycle? Or should I save my money, shelve it til next year, and go at Fall 2015 as soon as the applications open up?

Sorry that this is so long-- any advice is much MUCH appreciated!!

cc240

Re: Advice Needed! Retake/cancel/postpone til 2015 cycle...?

Postby cc240 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:32 pm

Hi,

I am fresh off the Dec 2013 as well but there is a difference between thinking you had a bad couple of problems in a section (which is normal anxiety for most of us) or completely butchered the LSAT in general. Also, check out the LSAT prep page in the 180 scorers' section. Someone who got a 180 thought they did horrible and almost canceled but decided to wait instead.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:55 pm

If you think it's possible you're 10 points lower than you wanted to be, there's no reason to leave that on your record (unless you're just freaking out and, with some perspective and time, decide it wasn't that bad).

I would say wait out the cycle - it's already getting late, and if you cancel and put pressure on yourself for February, it sounds like you might have the type of personality that doesn't respond well to that much pressure. You also sound like you'd be relatively accepting of waiting another year, which would strengthen your position.

You can use those LoRs for next year.

It's hard to project with a range of 7 points, but you might get some bites from the lower T25. I'd still recommend waiting and getting a high-160s/low-170s score and applying next year, though, as that will substantially boost the scholarship offers.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:03 pm

Keep the score. Most schools take your highest score, so if you get the score and find you didn't do as well as you wanted, you can take the test in Feb or June.

Come back when you have a score for chances. It's not really possible to guess based on a range of PT scores.

Postby 062914123 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:26 am

bp shinners wrote:If you think it's possible you're 10 points lower than you wanted to be, there's no reason to leave that on your record (unless you're just freaking out and, with some perspective and time, decide it wasn't that bad).

Follow this advice. Blanket advice of "just keep it" is silly. If in another couple of days you still believe there to be a high probability that you fell that far under your PT average, cancel the score.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 am

Last edited by 062914123 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 am

bee wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
bp shinners wrote:If you think it's possible you're 10 points lower than you wanted to be, there's no reason to leave that on your record (unless you're just freaking out and, with some perspective and time, decide it wasn't that bad).

Follow this advice. Blanket advice of "just keep it" is silly. If in another couple of days you still believe there to be a high probability that you fell that far under your PT average, cancel the score.

yeah, i probably should have qualified my post this way. if you still think youre 10+ points below tomorrow or tuesday, then revisit cancelling, but id give it some time.

I just don't understand how you could guess how you did in this way. And if you cancel, you will never know.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

ltrego wrote:
bee wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:

yeah, i probably should have qualified my post this way. if you still think youre 10+ points below tomorrow or tuesday, then revisit cancelling, but id give it some time.

I just don't understand how you could guess how you did in this way. And if you cancel, you will never know.

10 points is a huge swing - that tells me the person doesn't just have post-test jitters, but something actively went wrong.

Also, many people have the ability to generate a pretty accurate estimate of how they did on the test. Most people don't think they can do this, but when I press them, they come up with something that's in the ballpark - 3-4 points.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”