Is it possible to complete two concentrations in Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adameddins

Is it possible to complete two concentrations in Law School

Postby adameddins » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm having a difficult time deciding which path I want to take when I get in (hopefully for the 2014 cycle - I took LSAT today). I am very interested in both Entertainment/Sports Law (emphasis on Sports Law) and Criminal Law. If I got accepted to Loyola LA, which offers Sports and Criminal Concentrations, would I be able to do both? Or, must school be completed in three years and/or simply not possible?

Thanks.

JuTMSY4

Re: Is it possible to complete two concentrations in Law School

Postby JuTMSY4 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm

con...cen...tra...tions?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 pm

You don't want to complete any concentrations, just go to a good law school

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Concentrations are basically meaningless; sports law doesn't really exist.

There are careers for which it matters that you take relevant coursework. But fulfilling the technical requirements for a concentration won't matter.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Ask Loyola...

adameddins

Postby adameddins » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:13 pm

Ok thanks. I figured that it was necessary to get a certificate/concentration in criminal law in school if you wanted a good shot at a ADA job, but I guess not.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:21 pm

adameddins wrote:Ok thanks. I figured that it was necessary to get a certificate/concentration in criminal law in school if you wanted a good shot at a ADA job, but I guess not.

Nope.

More importantly, you need to decide whether you want to do "Entertainment/Sports law" (aka BigLaw) or work in a DA's office before you start law school.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 pm

midwest17 wrote:
adameddins wrote:Ok thanks. I figured that it was necessary to get a certificate/concentration in criminal law in school if you wanted a good shot at a ADA job, but I guess not.

Nope.

More importantly, you need to decide whether you want to do "Entertainment/Sports law" (aka BigLaw) or work in a DA's office before you start law school.

No he doesn't.

Make sure you want to actually practice law before going to law school, but there's room to change your focus/goals as you learn more about the law. Your first year curriculum is likely to be set anyway.

Aim higher, though. LA is a tough market for anyone coming from a school below USC or UCLA.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Lwoods wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

Nope.

No he doesn't.

I think he was saying that mainly because it should affect where you're going to enroll - how much scholarship money you need to make it worthwhile, how strong the school's LRAP program is, etc...

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:18 pm

bp shinners wrote:I think he was saying that mainly because it should affect where you're going to enroll - how much scholarship money you need to make it worthwhile, how strong the school's LRAP program is, etc...

That, and also from what I've gathered good public interest jobs require a resume that indicates commitment from the beginning. My understanding is that you do very different things with your time outside of class if you're gunning for a DAs office vs trying to get BigLaw.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:21 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:28 pm

midwest17 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:I think he was saying that mainly because it should affect where you're going to enroll - how much scholarship money you need to make it worthwhile, how strong the school's LRAP program is, etc...

That, and also from what I've gathered good public interest jobs require a resume that indicates commitment from the beginning. My understanding is that you do very different things with your time outside of class if you're gunning for a DAs office vs trying to get BigLaw.

derp
Last edited by outlawscr10 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 pm

outlawscr10 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

The issue is that the vast majority of data we use is based on employment within 9 months of graduation. At 9 months, one might determine that law school was a bad investment. After 15 years--and that's more relevant when you're dealing with a career investment--that determination might have completely shifted.

I think you may have responded to the wrong thread?

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:31 pm

midwest17 wrote:
outlawscr10 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

The issue is that the vast majority of data we use is based on employment within 9 months of graduation. At 9 months, one might determine that law school was a bad investment. After 15 years--and that's more relevant when you're dealing with a career investment--that determination might have completely shifted.

I think you may have responded to the wrong thread?

TITCR

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Whatever thread he was trying to respond to though that looked like a retarded post

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Whatever thread he was trying to respond to though that looked like a retarded post

Cheers.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 pm

I looked it up, I was right

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:18 pm

midwest17 wrote:More importantly, you need to decide whether you want to do "Entertainment/Sports law" (aka BigLaw) or work in a DA's office before you start law school.

I don't think those two particular paths are incompatible, really. Public interest people can focus on grades 1L year without being off track, and a 1L summer at a DAs office isn't going to hurt your chances at biglaw. Signing up for a mixture of corporate-type classes and crim pro/DA clinic for 2L isn't going to prevent a biglaw SA offer either. DA hiring tends to be on a different schedule, and you can start applying if it looks like you struck out at OCI without them ever knowing that you did OCI. The biggest hurdle will be getting any job from Loyola, not having biglaw/DA as a plan A and plan B.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm

mr. wednesday wrote:
midwest17 wrote:More importantly, you need to decide whether you want to do "Entertainment/Sports law" (aka BigLaw) or work in a DA's office before you start law school.

I don't think those two particular paths are incompatible, really. Public interest people can focus on grades 1L year without being off track, and a 1L summer at a DAs office isn't going to hurt your chances at biglaw. Signing up for a mixture of corporate-type classes and crim pro/DA clinic for 2L isn't going to prevent a biglaw SA offer either. DA hiring tends to be on a different schedule, and you can start applying if it looks like you struck out at OCI without them ever knowing that you did OCI. The biggest hurdle will be getting any job from Loyola, not having biglaw/DA as a plan A and plan B.

This isn't the impression I've gotten from various threads, including this one: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=220431

But I'm a 0L, so I'll defer to those with more experience.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I think positioning yourself as a DA wouldn't preclude you from getting biglaw, since biglaw mostly cares about grades and doesn't care much about experience during law school (I mean, there are some pre-LS jobs that can help you interview well and make connections to firms, but you can get biglaw without those things). I think if you try to position yourself for biglaw and therefore don't go for any of the DA-type things (clinics) during law school, do a biglaw SA 2L summer, and then decide you'd rather go DA, you're going to face an uphill battle. But yeah, if you come in considering both those possibilities, you can pull it off if you're careful and keep your options open.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:56 pm

What on earth is a "concentration?"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:00 pm

[,
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:18 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think positioning yourself as a DA wouldn't preclude you from getting biglaw, since biglaw mostly cares about grades and doesn't care much about experience during law school (I mean, there are some pre-LS jobs that can help you interview well and make connections to firms, but you can get biglaw without those things). I think if you try to position yourself for biglaw and therefore don't go for any of the DA-type things (clinics) during law school, do a biglaw SA 2L summer, and then decide you'd rather go DA, you're going to face an uphill battle. But yeah, if you come in considering both those possibilities, you can pull it off if you're careful and keep your options open.

Probably not BigLaw, but very possibly entertainment/sports law. For those, you either have to come out of law school and head to a mail room, or be lobbying to get one of those positions from the very first day of school (if not before). I know a fleetingly small number of people who ended up in entertainment/sports law; I know many people who wanted to go into it. The ones who made it had great grades AND a large amount of time dedicated to ECs in those areas, plus connections and TA positions for professors with connections.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:22 pm

That makes sense. I've mostly heard of people doing entertainment law by going to one of the few biglaw firms that does it, then getting into that practice group, so was treating it as equivalent to doing biglaw. But I don't know much about that (or anything really about sports law).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”