Waitlisted at Idaho? Is this a bad sign?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notalobbyist

Re: Waitlisted at Idaho? Is this a bad sign?

Postby notalobbyist » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:52 pm

HYSenberg wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:T12

I see what you did there.

C/G only place in like two cities each. There are some exceptions, but both are much less national than the rest of the T14.

Can't wait until T11 is a thing...

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 am

HYSenberg wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:T12

I see what you did there.

C/G only place in like two cities each. There are some exceptions, but both are much less national than the rest of the T14.

This is totally off topic but HYSenberg, your username is too great. As someone who just started watching Breaking Bad, obviously totally missing the boat originally I know, OH MY GOD SO FUNNY.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:41 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you're not from Idaho, and have no connections to Idaho, being WLed could be more about doubting you'd actually attend than anything else. (I say this in part because you've posted elsewhere that OSU is your top choice, which suggests to me you're not from anywhere near Idaho.)

This.

I applied to UNLV last year and before they accepted me, they sent me emails asking me why I would want to move there and so on. My numbers were above both 75th percentiles.

SonlenNightfall

Postby SonlenNightfall » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:38 am

Progress01 wrote:
Btw, where are you from and do you want to work in Idaho?

I'm paranoid about giving away too much information (probably sounds stupid, given I'm on a forum and it's not too difficult to piece me together from various posts) because who knows if admissions people come on here, but... I'm from the southwest. I could take or leave Idaho, depending on if they gave me $$$. If you look at LSN, there's a lot of people with similar numbers who DID get in Idaho, with some $$$. And their instate tuition isn't bad. I figured it's not bad to cast a wide net and see what happens.

To give you guys a little more backstory: I DO have some softs. That includes a vast amount of community involvement/service. Ultimately, from what I've heard, I don't think schools care much at all about that.
That GPA didn't become that way from being a slacker. I've been taking college classes since I was a freshman in high school--try going back and telling your 15 year old self that those 4 credit Cs will come back to haunt you one day. :( The rest of the bad grades are from university math, physics, and chemistry classes. It wasn't that I was sitting in a dorm somewhere not going to class--I was getting tutored, working 2 jobs, and trying to pass precalc without having ever finished algebra I in high school. That's what kills me inside: numbers. Schools would rather see a 3.6 in underwater basketweaving, than a 2.xxxx in Biology.

I can retake the LSAT, but it will be so far into the cycle I don't know it will matter for this year.

And yes, OSU is the dream school, but it's definitely not even a REACH. Optimally, I would like to go to a school on the east coast or in the Midwest. I have a big interest in environmental (the bio background) so Vermont would be fantastic too.

A good addendum about your GPA reflecting on your 15 year old self (and not your recent self) could help if it was well explained, but an amazing LSAT is what you need. GPA is never what will kill you. If you have an LSAT score that is above a school's median, then all a school needs to do is admit someone else with a high GPA to counterbalance their GPA and LSAT medians. As others have mentioned, your real focus here needs to be the LSAT.

It is the rest of your life, take a year where you aren't stressing out with juggling classes and jobs. Work, find some time to relax, and study like crazy for the test. Stubbornly rushing into a bad situation where you are NOT desirable to law schools is a sure recipe for ending up in a situation where you carry a heavy debt load and a low value degree. Come back to the admissions game with a 165+ LSAT score and Ohio State University will be throwing money at you and begging you to go.

uvandy

Postby uvandy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 am

Is Idaho a good option for if one wants to make a decent living in Boise? I have no connection to the Rockies, but would love to practice in that part of the country. Been to Boise once during winter and thought it was a great mid-sized city. Unfortunately my projected LSAT is way too low for Colorado/Utah.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:30 am

uvandy wrote:Is Idaho a good option for if one wants to make a decent living in Boise? I have no connection to the Rockies, but would love to practice in that part of the country. Been to Boise once during winter and thought it was a great mid-sized city. Unfortunately my projected LSAT is way too low for Colorado/Utah.

This seems like a rather flimsy amount of experience on which to commit oneself to a certain region for a career.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”