Practicing IRAC as a 0L

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Young Marino

Practicing IRAC as a 0L

Postby Young Marino » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:14 pm

So during this year off, I've made it a point to research and practice 0L prep as much as possible (I know, I'm a fuckin gunner). I've begun to play with IRAC (lssue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion) and have been trying to integrate it into everyday life by listening to discussions between people (Just one example) and seeing if I can apply irac. I want to know how I can better practice irac without learning the law? is this the system that LEEWS teaches and goes over in depth?

midwest17

Re: Practicing IRAC as a 0L

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 pm

2/10

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Young Marino wrote:So during this year off, I've made it a point to research and practice 0L prep as much as possible (I know, I'm a fuckin gunner). I've begun to play with IRAC (lssue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion) and have been trying to integrate it into everyday life by listening to discussions between people (Just one example) and seeing if I can apply irac. I want to know how I can better practice irac without learning the law? is this the system that LEEWS teaches and goes over in depth?

Issue: Is this a bad post?
Rule: Generally, a post by an 0L asking how they can learn law or law school prior to entering law school are bad posts.
Analysis: Yes, that is the general rule, but there is an exception for reading Getting to Maybe. But this isn't a question about reading Getting to Maybe, so it must be a bad post.
Conclusion: This is a bad post.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

ph14 wrote:
Young Marino wrote:So during this year off, I've made it a point to research and practice 0L prep as much as possible (I know, I'm a fuckin gunner). I've begun to play with IRAC (lssue, Rule, Analysis, Conclusion) and have been trying to integrate it into everyday life by listening to discussions between people (Just one example) and seeing if I can apply irac. I want to know how I can better practice irac without learning the law? is this the system that LEEWS teaches and goes over in depth?

Rule: Generally, a post by an 0L asking how they can learn law or law school prior to entering law school are bad posts.
Analysis: Yes, that is the general rule, but there is an exception for reading Getting to Maybe. But this isn't a question about reading Getting to Maybe, so it must be a bad post.

Lol

Hipster but Athletic

Postby Hipster but Athletic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 pm

You can read legal writing books if you want, dude. Point Made is pretty chill. You don't really need too much instruction to grasp what's going on.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 pm

ph14 wrote:

Dude you can't cite new exceptions in your analysis section without first mentioning them in your rule section, wtf.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Tanicius wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Dude you can't cite new exceptions in your analysis section without first mentioning them in your rule section, wtf.

That's true. Maybe I should have practiced my IRAC as an 0L.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:18 pm

ph14 wrote:

Is Getting to Maybe a good book to read pre-law school if you have time? Is there a thread on this topic?

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Is Getting to Maybe a good book to read pre-law school if you have time? Is there a thread on this topic?

Not sure if this is sarcasm, so i'll assume it's not. Yes, it's a good book to read, but mainly the issue spotting stuff I think. Probably many threads on the topic.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:31 pm

ph14 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Not sure if this is sarcasm, so i'll assume it's not. Yes, it's a good book to read, but mainly the issue spotting stuff I think. Probably many threads on the topic.

No it was not sarcasm. I like to read the funny threads when work is slow but I saw mention of that book and was curious.
Thanks, I will look up those other threads on the topic.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

No it was not sarcasm. I like to read the funny threads when work is slow but I saw mention of that book and was curious.
Thanks, I will look up those other threads on the topic.

No problem. Happy to answer any questions too if you want to pm. Now that I know you're not being sarcastic, i'll have a more serious response: Getting to Maybe: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/getting ... 1100961299 is a good book because it teaches you how to think about the law for purposes of an issue spotter exam. It's not necessary to read before law school, but it's nice to kind of have some sort of idea of what you are looking for before the semester starts. I would also recommend Open Book: http://www.aspenlaw.com/open-book/id-57 ... law_school. It does a good job explaining how to take exams and how to study throughout the semester, and it does so much more concisely than Getting to Maybe.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:37 pm

The writing style you'll be expected to use in law school will depend on your professor. If you try to teach yourself legal writing now, you run the risk of developing habits that will hurt you when you actually get to law school. Reading Point Made, Getting to Maybe, etc. might help and probably won't hurt.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Great, I will check out both of those.
Thanks.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:59 pm

Trying to apply IRAC to daily conversations... no, not helpful.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 am

ph14 wrote:

I would think it'd a little more like....

Issue: Is it possible for OP to put IRAC into practice during this year off?

Rule: Generally, IRAC is a skill learned in LS but there is no statue or law deterring OP from experimenting with IRAC prior to starting law school although 0Ls generally only read GTM prior to LS, which OP intends to do after Christmas..

Analysis: ph14 may argue that all this prep is unnecessary due to personal experience, intoxication or just plain hating on OP but cannot point to a specific rule prohibiting any type of 0L prep. OP may argue that because there is no specific statue prohibiting prep, he is free to prep for LS in which ever ways he sees fit.

Conclusion: the court will likely rule in favor of OP because of the absence of any element that prohibits him to engage in 0L prep

So is this the basic jist of it? Not trying to call ph14 out or anything but just trying to get a sense of how to use irac.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 pm

Young Marino wrote:
So is this the basic jist of it? Not trying to call ph14 out or anything but just trying to get a sense of how to use irac.

Pretty bad analysis, if you ask me. He never argued doing 0L prep should be prohibited, just that it's pointless and aspie. :)

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Don't be dumb. It won't help.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Retake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”