Is there a good source for employment data? Where?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
linkx13

Is there a good source for employment data? Where?

Postby linkx13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Is all employment data, even ABA data, simply not honest? I am really trying to find out where I can go to get a good sense of PI and full time placement.

Spoke to a law grad from a t6 yesterday who was really into PI and swears none of her friends had jobs at graduation, yet ABA makes it look like her 2010 class did pretty well, way different than she stated. And I mean for full time employment and no school funded, even in PI. The vast difference between the data and her experience, even as anecdotal evidence, makes me very interested.

Vincent

Re: Is there a good source for employment data? Where?

Postby Vincent » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Unsourced/uncited, but I believe ABA data is compiled 9 months post-graduation. A possible (though I would call it improbable) scenario is that all of her friends cobbled together work between graduation and that deadline.

linkx13

Postby linkx13 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Vincent wrote:Unsourced/uncited, but I believe ABA data is compiled 9 months post-graduation. A possible (though I would call it improbable) scenario is that all of her friends cobbled together work between graduation and that deadline.

I see. So, ABA requires law schools to report their data and they have to get it from their students? Does that usually get reported honestly? I'd assume they'd have ways of verifying, especially for PI people using LRAP.

I mean, she was fervently anti-law school mostly because of employment. I know the market isn't good, but I couldn't help but think she was really overstated it based on pure bad experience, especially since I've had other many other PI attorneys warn about the market, but not be so hugely negative. I'm sure graduating in 2010 didn't help either.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm

linkx13 wrote:Is all employment data, even ABA data, simply not honest? I am really trying to find out where I can go to get a good sense of PI and full time placement.

Spoke to a law grad from a t6 yesterday who was really into PI and swears none of her friends had jobs at graduation, yet ABA makes it look like her 2010 class did pretty well, way different than she stated. And I mean for full time employment and no school funded, even in PI. The vast difference between the data and her experience, even as anecdotal evidence, makes me very interested.

Law school transparency is worth looking at: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Anecdotes from people who personally didn't get jobs aren't likely to be reliable. People don't like to talk about their job offers in front of their unemployed classmates.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Why don't you just post that she went to NYU?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:18 pm

PI, even hard to get uber prestige PI, often hires after bar results. This effects kids at Cooley and Harvard alike.

I personally do not doubt the ABA numbers, especially those given to them by a "T6."

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

These days anyone at a T6 trying for PI and unable to find anything at graduation will be employed by the school for a year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”