Clarification regarding optional attachments

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
billables247

Clarification regarding optional attachments

Postby billables247 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:05 am

Hi all,

I'm about to start submitting my applications, but I wanted to clarify the optional attachment section many schools have on their app.

Apps seemed to be divided into 2 groups:

Group 1: Schools like Yale, Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern all specifically have "optional statement" sections where they give you the option to write a statement surrounding topics such as how your background will enrich the law school community. The purpose of this section is to basically reaffirm your interest and fit when applying (i.e. the classic Why X essay), and it is highly recommended to attach this statement.

Group 2: Schools like Stanford, UChicago, NYU (not including scholarship essays), UVA, and Berkeley, however, DO NOT have such a specific section, but have an Addenda section where you can attach whatever you want. From my understanding, this means a Diversity/Academic supplement that, for example, explains why your GPA is low one particular semester, and it is NOT an invitation for you to attach a similar statement as Group 1. The purpose of this optional section is to supplement any gaps in your application, and it is perfectly fine not to attach anything here.

Am I off base here? Thanks!

Gooner91

Re: Clarification regarding optional attachments

Postby Gooner91 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:36 pm

billables247 wrote:Hi all,

I'm about to start submitting my applications, but I wanted to clarify the optional attachment section many schools have on their app.

Apps seemed to be divided into 2 groups:

Group 1: Schools like Yale, Harvard, Columbia, UPenn, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern all specifically have "optional statement" sections where they give you the option to write a statement surrounding topics such as how your background will enrich the law school community. The purpose of this section is to basically reaffirm your interest and fit when applying (i.e. the classic Why X essay), and it is highly recommended to attach this statement.

Group 2: Schools like Stanford, UChicago, NYU (not including scholarship essays), UVA, and Berkeley, however, DO NOT have such a specific section, but have an Addenda section where you can attach whatever you want. From my understanding, this means a Diversity/Academic supplement that, for example, explains why your GPA is low one particular semester, and it is NOT an invitation for you to attach a similar statement as Group 1. The purpose of this optional section is to supplement any gaps in your application, and it is perfectly fine not to attach anything here.

Am I off base here? Thanks!

I can only speak about UVA but you can submit a "Why UVA" in the optional section. I both read this in an interview and did it myself.

billables247

Postby billables247 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 am

Gooner91 wrote:I can only speak about UVA but you can submit a "Why UVA" in the optional section. I both read this in an interview and did it myself.

I see, that's good to know. Can anybody else weigh in about the other schools?

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:12 pm

This is good info.

*Bump

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I can confirm that the Harvard optional sections are truly optional if you can cover your bases in your PS (Why Harvard?, What makes you special?, Why do you want to go to law school?, etc.).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”