Worth staying an extra year to raise GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Worth staying an extra year to raise GPA?

Postby RightGuard » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey everyone, my question is simple. As it stands now, my LSDAS GPA is 3.2 flat. I already decided to not apply this cycle and apply first thing next cycle. I've calculated that, by taking a bigger course load next semester/taking a few extra classes over the summer, I'll be able to raise my GPA to just over a 3.4 (which puts me in a much better place). I've already committed to taking this course of action, but I'm wondering.. if I stayed a full extra year and applied the *following* cycle, I'd be able to raise my GPA to above a 3.5. Obviously at that point I would be completing an entire major, which could have some benefits in the future depending on what I chose, correct? But I feel that while the 3.2->3.4x jump will be worth it, 3.4-3.5x might not. Any input?

I should note that I am a URM (PR) and that my LSAT score is 173+.

Re: Worth staying an extra year to raise GPA?

Postby hcrimson2014 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 am

You will get at least one t14 with that score and raising the gpa to anywhere under a 3.5 (two people got into NYU with around your curent gpa and lsat not being URM) will not make a significant difference. But waiting a year can mean a further decline in applications which might propel the schools to be more generous/friendly to splitters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”