Applied --> Rejected --> Next Year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Force J.D.'s

Applied --> Rejected --> Next Year?

Postby Force J.D.'s » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Last edited by Force J.D.'s on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Re: Applied --> Rejected --> Next Year?

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 am

Most schools will probably keep it on file. Whether they look at old materials varies by school.

Force J.D.'s

Postby Force J.D.'s » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Last edited by Force J.D.'s on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm

Standard caveats about your softs probably not being as awesome as you think they are.

If your softs are legitimately awesome, I doubt their effect is going to operate like "shock value." They'll help if they make you seem like an interesting and desirable person to have in a law school class, and that won't change if you apply twice.

That said, you should probably wait a cycle and retake; there's no reason to put yourself in a position this year to accept an offer that's worse than what you'll be able to get next year with better numbers.

Force J.D.'s

Postby Force J.D.'s » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:07 pm

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Force J.D.'s wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Standard caveats about your softs probably not being as awesome as you think they are.

If your softs are legitimately awesome, I doubt their effect is going to operate like "shock value." They'll help if they make you seem like an interesting and desirable person to have in a law school class, and that won't change if you apply twice.

That said, you should probably wait a cycle and retake; there's no reason to put yourself in a position this year to accept an offer that's worse than what you'll be able to get next year with better numbers.

..Thanks for the response.

...In the spirit of full disclosure, I would be between 27-28 in my first year of LS, IF I waited a cycle...So i'm feelin stuck between those prospects and also the fact not aplying this year may alarm a couple ol'folks haha.

27-28 isn't that old to be starting law school. Without knowing what your numbers and softs are, it's hard to know how well you'll do this time and how much an increased LSAT score will help you. (Even spectacular softs, by the way, will only be worth a few points on the LSAT; they're probably really helpful for splitters but not as much for people below both medians). So the cost-benefit analysis is difficult. But if by waiting a year you can get into a school that gives you double the odds of getting BigLaw, it's far and away the better choice: you're giving up one year of lower salary for a career of higher salaries.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”