I want to Move to LA. USC?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

I want to Move to LA. USC?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 am

I'm pretty much 100% sure I want to spend my life in LA, where I grew up. In terms of career prospects, is there any reason for me to go anywhere other than USC?
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jarofsoup

Re: Want to stay in DC - Definitely go to Georgetown?

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 am

No. Go to the highest ranked school you can get in. All firms and gov/ that are based out of DC recruit from the top 14. If you have ties to DC you will be fine if you want to come back.

Alumni in DC are from all over the U.S. for the most part. But the elite school hierarchy is true here like anywhere else.

If you pick a DC school only attend GULC and GWU. The rest of them are not worth it.

tigersaresexy

Postby tigersaresexy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:13 am

Im curious to hear responses because I too want to spend my life in DC. I was only going to apply to gtown, but someone talked me into applying to UPenn because it was close enough to DC that I could visit whenever I wanted but still a much better school and a better shot of getting a biglaw job in DC (not so sure about the last part)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 am

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:16 am

TITCR

jarofsoup wrote:No. Go to the highest ranked school you can get in. All firms and gov/ that are based out of DC recruit from the top 14. If you have ties to DC you will be fine if you want to come back.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 pm

When has international law ever exerted any influence on Israeli/Palestinian actions lol?

Baby_Got_Feuerbach

Postby Baby_Got_Feuerbach » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Smiled out loud (because I'm at work).

HYSenberg wrote:When has international law ever exerted any influence on Israeli/Palestinian actions lol?

BillsFan9907

Re: I want to Move to LA. USC?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Yeah. good point.
Last edited by BillsFan9907 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Seoulless wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:When has international law ever exerted any influence on Israeli/Palestinian actions lol?

Its merely an academic / intellectual interest in the same sense that one would get a PhD with a focus on moral philosophy - no one expects ones work in the field to make a difference in the world.

So you want to be a legal academic? Go to Yale.

BPlaura

Postby BPlaura » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:54 pm

To post from a different perspective here - I worked as an undergrad at the NYU Law Office of Career Services, and a large part of my job involved helping students prep for OCI. The office kept really detailed data about each firm, especially the stats of students who received callbacks and offers. In general, the out-of-state locations tended to be more selective about GPA than the NYC office of the same firm, even just in terms of who they'd give interviews.

Some caveats: obviously this is only one data point based on one school, there were probably fewer NYUers applying to DC firms (so, less competition), you might *still* have a better shot at those DC jobs just based on NYU's rank. But if you *do* end up going out-of-state for law school, just know that your GPA might be even more important than it usually is.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:39 pm

BPlaura wrote:To post from a different perspective here - I worked as an undergrad at the NYU Law Office of Career Services, and a large part of my job involved helping students prep for OCI. The office kept really detailed data about each firm, especially the stats of students who received callbacks and offers. In general, the out-of-state locations tended to be more selective about GPA than the NYC office of the same firm, even just in terms of who they'd give interviews.

Some caveats: obviously this is only one data point based on one school, there were probably fewer NYUers applying to DC firms (so, less competition), you might *still* have a better shot at those DC jobs just based on NYU's rank. But if you *do* end up going out-of-state for law school, just know that your GPA might be even more important than it usually is.

Interesting perspective, but keep in mind that NYC is an easier market to crack overall, due to its sheer size.

hcrimson2014

Postby hcrimson2014 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 am

DC is basically dominated by Harvard and Yale.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”