Does your location matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
virginialittle1209

Does your location matter?

Postby virginialittle1209 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 pm

All other factors being equal, does being from a state (and consequently school) that doesn't typically produce Ivy-league law school applicants help insofar as diversity is concerned? The reason I ask is because It seems like schools like Harvard Yale and Stanford pride themselves in having a pool of applicants/1L's from practically every state and various other countries. And I'm talking about a state whose education rate is beyond substandard, lol.

arklaw13

Re: Does your location matter?

Postby arklaw13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:04 pm

It probably matters very little. Harvard gets people from close to 40-45 states because they have a huge class size. Yale only got people from 33. 90% of the admission process of LSAT/GPA.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Nevada?

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 pm

My first thought was California but I doubt any adcom is aware of which states education systems are substandard. The only time I see it hurting you is if your from Missouri, cuz then they will know your a stupid redneck.

WaltGrace83

Postby WaltGrace83 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 am

Happy Gilmore wrote:My first thought was California but I doubt any adcom is aware of which states education systems are substandard. The only time I see it hurting you is if your from Missouri, cuz then they will know your a stupid redneck.

I'll have to live with that misconception for the rest of my life :(.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Thankfully, there are no bad stereotypes about Iowa. It makes me happy that I'll be applying to law school with Iowa as my home state. It would have been dicey if I had to put Minnesota, where I was born. :D

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Tyr wrote:Thankfully, there are no bad stereotypes about Iowa. It makes me happy that I'll be applying to law school with Iowa as my home state. It would have been dicey if I had to put Minnesota, where I was born. :D

Do you liek corn?

virginialittle1209

Postby virginialittle1209 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Lets just say its either Nebraska, South Dakota, or Alaska.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Tyr wrote:Thankfully, there are no bad stereotypes about Iowa. It makes me happy that I'll be applying to law school with Iowa as my home state. It would have been dicey if I had to put Minnesota, where I was born. :D

Do you liek corn?

No.

I love it.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Lmao you must be a troll. Iowa is probably the 3rd worst next to missorui and nebraska. YOU GUYS WERE THE FIRST TO VOTE FOR RICK SANATORUM. What more could be wrong with you people. Gingrich was clearly the better choice.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 am

Tyr wrote:Thankfully, there are no bad stereotypes about Iowa.
Not sure if serious

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:

Lmao you must be a troll. Iowa is probably the 3rd worst next to missorui and nebraska. YOU GUYS WERE THE FIRST TO VOTE FOR RICK SANATORUM. What more could be wrong with you people. Gingrich was clearly the better choice.

Hey now, don't blame that mess on me! Not only Santorum, but we were also the first to vote for Obama. I don't know how this state always goes for terrible candidates. :lol: So yes, Iowa is a pretty messed up place. At least we are the future birth place of Captain James T. Kirk. So we have that going for us, right? :cry:

TigerDude wrote:
Tyr wrote:Thankfully, there are no bad stereotypes about Iowa.
Not sure if serious

Not serious at all. See above.

Iowa: Where the men are men and the women are too. :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”