Typo in Diversity Statement - game changer?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Carter1901

Typo in Diversity Statement - game changer?

Postby Carter1901 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Title pretty much says it all. 8 of my ~10 apps are in and I just caught a minor typo in my diversity statement (I wrote “The question was I was one I’d heard often…”, where I meant “The question was one I’d heard often….”). Kills me that I let this slip through after numerous edits.

I read through some older threads and came away with the general consensus that a single typo likely isn’t a huge deal. Is emailing a corrected version to admissions offices the right move here? Shooting for CCN - my numbers are competitive but by no means a lock, so I’m hoping that my carelessness doesn’t kill my chances. Has anyone had similar experience with something along these lines?

FWIW, I was fortunate enough to get Duke via PT with the typo, so that puts my mind at ease a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

TheMostDangerousLG

Re: Typo in Diversity Statement - game changer?

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm

You're fine. Don't worry about it.

Nooblarzlarz

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Carter1901 wrote:Title pretty much says it all. 8 of my ~10 apps are in and I just caught a minor typo in my diversity statement (I wrote “The question was I was one I’d heard often…”, where I meant “The question was one I’d heard often….”). Kills me that I let this slip through after numerous edits.

I read through some older threads and came away with the general consensus that a single typo likely isn’t a huge deal. Is emailing a corrected version to admissions offices the right move here? Shooting for CCN - my numbers are competitive but by no means a lock, so I’m hoping that my carelessness doesn’t kill my chances. Has anyone had similar experience with something along these lines?

FWIW, I was fortunate enough to get Duke via PT with the typo, so that puts my mind at ease a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FWIW, I had to read over it 3x to see the typo. It's an easy one for a reader to skip over.

BullShitWithBravado

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I've posted this other places, but I have a friend who was admitted to a T-14 school that was not Columbia, even though he accidentally wrote that Columbia was his number one choice in his personal statement. I also remember realizing that I had a typo in either my personal statement or my diversity statement and freaking out about it, only to realize later that it didn't really make a difference. If you try to send schools an updated version of the diversity statement, you might just end up drawing unwanted attention to the typo.

TLDR: Relax 8)

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:49 pm

Relax, it happens. These people aren't going to see a single unintended letter and crumple up your application. Heck, I've seen typos in e-mails from schools I've applied to.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Nooblarzlarz wrote:FWIW, I had to read over it 3x to see the typo. It's an easy one for a reader to skip over.

Same here.

Carter1901

Postby Carter1901 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:26 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:You're fine. Don't worry about it.

This.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:14 am

I had a similar typo in the second line of my PS that I sent out in the first wave of apps (was missing a word). it was pretty glaring. was accepted to duke on wednesday. you'll be fine. 8)

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but I just realized that in 6 of my applications my resume said I strted working at a job in December 2014, rather than December 2013. Is this bad? My main concern is for my Columbia and Cornell apps. I do have 174/3.54, so should I be as concerned as I am right now?

Force J.D.'s

Postby Force J.D.'s » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am

malleus discentium wrote:
Nooblarzlarz wrote:FWIW, I had to read over it 3x to see the typo. It's an easy one for a reader to skip over.

Same here.

The typo completely botches the flow of the sentence...I read it the first time and I was my head almost exploded.
+
The fact that you used a conjecture "I'd" is very conversant, barely professional. Who reviewed your statements? I was was I taught in the 8th grade to drop "i'd" "I'm" "it'd"

BUT

Don't sweat it. The #s you have, and I'm sure, the depth of your application, won't be defined by it.
Do not sweat it. The #s you have, and I am sure the depth of your application will not be defined by it.

BUT

Based on my troll, don't feel bad if you have to go back and send an updated draft. Congrats with Duke too!

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:27 am

Force J.D.'s wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:

Same here.

The typo completely botches the flow of the sentence...I read it the first time and I was my head almost exploded.
+
The fact that you used a conjecture "I'd" is very conversant, barely professional. Who reviewed your statements? I was was I taught in the 8th grade to drop "i'd" "I'm" "it'd"

BUT

Don't sweat it. The #s you have, and I'm sure, the depth of your application, won't be defined by it.
Do not sweat it. The #s you have, and I am sure the depth of your application, will not be defined by it.

BUT

Based on my troll, don't do not feel bad if you have to go back and send an updated draft. Congrats with Duke too!

It is a personal statement...it is allowed to be conversational. Some may disagree with that particular stylistic choice, but it can definitely work. It is absolutely nothing to worry about IMHO.

Also ftfy above. I was surprised at those, given your grammar troll status :D

Force J.D.'s

Postby Force J.D.'s » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Last edited by Force J.D.'s on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Force J.D.'s wrote:

You are 100% right about it being a personal statement, I'll give you that...as long as the context is conversational.

BUT

you clearly failed to see the irony in my "typos"

If it was irony I apologize! :) I was being a little ironic as well

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”