School asked for further information on my C&F flaw!? HELP!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Progress01

School asked for further information on my C&F flaw!? HELP!

Postby Progress01 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Last week, I began the mass submission of applications.

I did something bad in my past (almost a year ago now). Because I don't know who could be reading this, I won't put any specifics. Just that I'm looking at two misdeamor charges (no drugs/alcohol, and NOT not a crime of moral turpitude)), and as of this week have an offer on the table of deferred prosecution (NOT deferred adjuncation or diversion), which I will probably take, and as of June my charges will be dropped.

I was honest on my C&F statement. I stated what my charges were, and the circumstances leading to them. I've been submitting the same statement to all schools.

Then this morning, I get an email from a school I applied to--asking for more info. They want the court dockets. I'm starting to freak out. I don't know exactly WHAT I'm suppose to get them, because I've only had one pretrial hearing on this, and that was back in September, and it was just my attorney and the prosecutor without me present. So I'm not sure what dockets there really are to get for them??

I'm also freaking out..because if ONE school asked for more, is it likely that ALL the schools will ask for more? Or automatically reject me? I'm so worried.

midwest17

Re: School asked for further information on my C&F flaw!? HELP!

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:17 pm

I wouldn't be that worried. My guess is that they want to know the exact status of the case, since it was so recent and the legal proceedings are still underway.

Your best bet is probably to show the school's request to your lawyer and ask him/her for the relevant documentation.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:06 pm

midwest17 wrote:I wouldn't be that worried. My guess is that they want to know the exact status of the case, since it was so recent and the legal proceedings are still underway.

Your best bet is probably to show the school's request to your lawyer and ask him/her for the relevant documentation.

This.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Progress01 wrote:Last week, I began the mass submission of applications.

I did something bad in my past (almost a year ago now). Because I don't know who could be reading this, I won't put any specifics. Just that I'm looking at two misdeamor charges (no drugs/alcohol, and NOT not a crime of moral turpitude)), and as of this week have an offer on the table of deferred prosecution (NOT deferred adjuncation or diversion), which I will probably take, and as of June my charges will be dropped.

I was honest on my C&F statement. I stated what my charges were, and the circumstances leading to them. I've been submitting the same statement to all schools.

Then this morning, I get an email from a school I applied to--asking for more info. They want the court dockets. I'm starting to freak out. I don't know exactly WHAT I'm suppose to get them, because I've only had one pretrial hearing on this, and that was back in September, and it was just my attorney and the prosecutor without me present. So I'm not sure what dockets there really are to get for them??

I'm also freaking out..because if ONE school asked for more, is it likely that ALL the schools will ask for more? Or automatically reject me? I'm so worried.

I had a similar request for more info/clarification from a school. I provided additional details, and was subsequently accepted. I would provide what they have requested and try not to worry too much. They way I look at it, what's done is done, all you can do is be truthful. My guess is what you did will not impact the bar, which is likely what they are most concerned about.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:55 am

Really at this point I would take it as a sign that your at least being considered. Why would they ask someone for additional info if they were just planning on rejecting you. Basically the way I see it, your application is in contention and they just want to make sure you will be able to pass the bar.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Happy Gilmore wrote:Really at this point I would take it as a sign that your at least being considered. Why would they ask someone for additional info if they were just planning on rejecting you. Basically the way I see it, your application is in contention and they just want to make sure you will be able to pass the bar.

Yep. They want to make sure it's not going to interfere because of the charge, and also because of the disclosure. If they receive this information from you, there's no way you can get dinged during the C&F process for failure to disclose.

But they wouldn't be asking if they didn't have at least some interest in you.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:38 am

midwest17 wrote:I wouldn't be that worried. My guess is that they want to know the exact status of the case, since it was so recent and the legal proceedings are still underway.

This is surely the case. They are probably wanting to get an idea when the case will be resolved, i.e. when it is set for trial, etc., since I'm guessing they don't know you've been offered and will accept a plea deal.

midwest17 wrote:Your best bet is probably to show the school's request to your lawyer and ask him/her for the relevant documentation.

I would be cautious about this, only insomuch as I often see cases where students don't disclose stuff because "My lawyer said I didn't have to tell anyone," which isn't the case for law schools. Our instructions actually say specifically not to rely on the advice of lawyers and to call us directly with questions related to disclose/not disclose. I don't think this is really an issue for OP, but I mention it more for others who might read this thread.

Dean Perez

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 pm

SPerez wrote:I would be cautious about this, only insomuch as I often see cases where students don't disclose stuff because "My lawyer said I didn't have to tell anyone," which isn't the case for law schools. Our instructions actually say specifically not to rely on the advice of lawyers and to call us directly with questions related to disclose/not disclose. I don't think this is really an issue for OP, but I mention it more for others who might read this thread.

Dean Perez

I assume this happens when lawyers tell clients generically that "this is expunged, so you don't have to tell anyone," right? Are there really lawyers giving bad advice on this when asked specifically about law school admissions? That seems like a pretty big problem, if so...

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm

midwest17 wrote:
SPerez wrote:I would be cautious about this, only insomuch as I often see cases where students don't disclose stuff because "My lawyer said I didn't have to tell anyone," which isn't the case for law schools. Our instructions actually say specifically not to rely on the advice of lawyers and to call us directly with questions related to disclose/not disclose. I don't think this is really an issue for OP, but I mention it more for others who might read this thread.

Dean Perez

I assume this happens when lawyers tell clients generically that "this is expunged, so you don't have to tell anyone," right? Are there really lawyers giving bad advice on this when asked specifically about law school admissions? That seems like a pretty big problem, if so...

Exactly. They're assuming the rules for what you "have" to tell an employer on a job application are the same for a law school application so I can see where they would think "Oh, I know it SAYS that, but it can't/doesn't mean for you in this situation." Why they're different, I have no idea, but if a school asks you to list things that have been expunged you need to do that.

Many problems also happen when students incorrectly recall what they were told by their attorneys years before when the offense occurred. It becomes "My lawyer told me...", when that's not really what the lawyer told them or it is, but in response to a different specific situation.

Dean Perez

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:20 pm

SPerez wrote:Exactly. They're assuming the rules for what you "have" to tell an employer on a job application are the same for a law school application so I can see where they would think "Oh, I know it SAYS that, but it can't/doesn't mean for you in this situation." Why they're different, I have no idea, but if a school asks you to list things that have been expunged you need to do that.

Many problems also happen when students incorrectly recall what they were told by their attorneys years before when the offense occurred. It becomes "My lawyer told me...", when that's not really what the lawyer told them or it is, but in response to a different specific situation.

Dean Perez

Yeah, that all makes sense. I recommended talking to the attorney in this case just because the school specifically asked for court dockets and the OP didn't know what to send; that's something that his attorney presumably won't screw up. :)

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Progress01

Postby Progress01 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Thanks guys. I actually called that morning and talked to the dean of admissions. He was very thorough and helped clarify what I need. I do need court dockets. But, he had just read my app, so I discussed my C&F with him, and he still had it fresh in his mind. I told him about the deferred prosecution deal I've been offered. He said that's good and not to worry and just send in the dockets when it's said and done. I'm not panic-y now.

attackpizza

Postby attackpizza » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:42 pm

midwest17 wrote:

Dean Perez

This is happening right now with a law grad in my office. They didn't disclose expunged items and now their bar admission is on hold because the expunged records still showed up in a skiptrace during the Moral Character Determination.

Disclose disclose disclose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”