NYU Scholarship program questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
billables247

NYU Scholarship program questions

Postby billables247 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:50 am

Does anybody know how the special program admissions works for NYU?

For example, if we do not get accepted to the Leadership in Law and Business applicant pool, do we get automatically bounced into the regular decision pool? Does getting rejected from a specialized program ding us from getting accepted in general?

famousblueraincoat

Re: NYU Scholarship program questions

Postby famousblueraincoat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:18 pm

**Idiot 0L disclaimer**

I've looked in to this a lot since I've been lusting after NYU for a while. The scholarship programs (RTK, AnBryce, Furman, etc.) have their own selection process that is independent from the normal admissions process. Of course, you must be accepted to the law school to receive a scholarship. I don't know how often an applicant would be accepted to a full-scholarship but rejected from the law school. It probably doesn't happen very often since the programs are incredibly competitive after all.

Not getting one of the scholarships won't shut you out of the school. If you're competitive for one of the programs you'd probably have no problem getting in RD. From what I've read, NYU gives its finalists (at least for AnBryce) a decent chunk of schools money, too.

Call them up and ask just to be sure. Also visit the web page for each scholarship to see eligibility, essay requirements, etc.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:30 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:**Idiot 0L disclaimer**

I've looked in to this a lot since I've been lusting after NYU for a while. The scholarship programs (RTK, AnBryce, Furman, etc.) have their own selection process that is independent from the normal admissions process. Of course, you must be accepted to the law school to receive a scholarship. I don't know how often an applicant would be accepted to a full-scholarship but rejected from the law school. It probably doesn't happen very often since the programs are incredibly competitive after all.

Not getting one of the scholarships won't shut you out of the school. If you're competitive for one of the programs you'd probably have no problem getting in RD. From what I've read, NYU gives its finalists (at least for AnBryce) a decent chunk of schools money, too.

Call them up and ask just to be sure. Also visit the web page for each scholarship to see eligibility, essay requirements, etc.

Do they actually put you into the scholarship process before you're admitted to the law school? I thought they only looked at admitted students, even though it's an entirely separate process.

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 pm

midwest17 wrote:

Do they actually put you into the scholarship process before you're admitted to the law school? I thought they only looked at admitted students, even though it's an entirely separate process.

I'm not sure whether I read it on TLS or official material, but that does seem accurate. Obviously getting one doesn't guarantee the other. You also have to consider that getting in to NYU and getting in with a full or substantial scholarship are two very different things. I really doubt that separating the two selection processes creates much problems since many of those who are attending NYU (or any CCN) for free probably could have attended HYS or their pick of lower T14.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

I'm not sure whether I read it on TLS or official material, but that does seem accurate. Obviously getting one doesn't guarantee the other. You also have to consider that getting in to NYU and getting in with a full or substantial scholarship are two very different things. I really doubt that separating the two selection processes creates much problems since many of those who are attending NYU (or any CCN) for free probably could have attended HYS or their pick of lower T14.

I realize this really doesn't matter, but this is what it says on NYU's website:

Applications are forwarded to the Root-Tilden-Kern Program office once an applicant has been admitted to the School of Law. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified by telephone or email between February and mid-March.

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:58 pm

midwest17 wrote:
famousblueraincoat wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

I realize this really doesn't matter, but this is what it says on NYU's website:

Applications are forwarded to the Root-Tilden-Kern Program office once an applicant has been admitted to the School of Law. Candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified by telephone or email between February and mid-March.

I was entirely wrong! From the AnBryce section: "Applicants are considered for the scholarship only after being offered admission."

Case closed. Good work, gang. :P

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”