letter of rec clarification

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jttoplawschools93

letter of rec clarification

Postby jttoplawschools93 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 am

can the recommender type it in a word doc and upload it to lsac, or does there have to be a physical copy?

if the former, how long does it take to go to received status after submission

isuperserial

Re: letter of rec clarification

Postby isuperserial » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 am

jttoplawschools93 wrote:can the recommender type it in a word doc and upload it to lsac, or does there have to be a physical copy?

I'm 95% sure they simply upload it.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 am

jttoplawschools93 wrote:can the recommender type it in a word doc and upload it to lsac, or does there have to be a physical copy?

They're allowed to do either. Encourage them to upload. Uploaded letters are available immediately, as far as I can tell, whereas physical letters sit in the mail for several days, and then sit even longer at LSAC until someone scans them in.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:05 am

isuperserial wrote:

I never mentioned the method by which they can send the letters in, I had 3 professors write letters for me and 2 of them sent them in physically while 1 (who writes many law school letters) simply uploaded it. I agree with midwest, you should just encourage them to upload, or at least make it away that it's the simple way to do it. The two professors who sent it in via snail-mail weren't the most technically inclined.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:04 pm

PalmBay wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

I never mentioned the method by which they can send the letters in, I had 3 professors write letters for me and 2 of them sent them in physically while 1 (who writes many law school letters) simply uploaded it. I agree with midwest, you should just encourage them to upload, or at least make it away that it's the simple way to do it. The two professors who sent it in via snail-mail weren't the most technically inclined.

Uploading it ridiculously easy. It seems like the LSAC took a bunch of old professors, stuck them in a room with IT guys, and had IT rework the website until 3/4 of the old professors could easily upload the LoR.

jttoplawschools93

Postby jttoplawschools93 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 am

alright cool thanks everyone.

one follow up question
when you assign a letter to a school after its been "received" does lsac automatically send it?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:07 pm

jttoplawschools93 wrote:alright cool thanks everyone.

one follow up question
when you assign a letter to a school after its been "received" does lsac automatically send it?

They should go when you submit your application. If you already submitted the application, assigning the LoR should send it along to the school (unless I'm misunderstanding the question).

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:20 pm

bp shinners wrote:

one follow up question

They should go when you submit your application. If you already submitted the application, assigning the LoR should send it along to the school (unless I'm misunderstanding the question).

LSAC says that letters assigned after the application is submitted only get sent once per week (they also say it depends on the school's preference, but I haven't seen anything other than the once-a-week thing). I don't know if that's accurate or an LSAC lie, though.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:24 pm

midwest17 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

one follow up question

LSAC says that letters assigned after the application is submitted only get sent once per week (they also say it depends on the school's preference, but I haven't seen anything other than the once-a-week thing). I don't know if that's accurate or an LSAC lie, though.

Either way, there's nothing you can do to speed it up, and it happens automatically.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”