Michigan Optional Essay -- Which one should I use?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
adamwest142

Michigan Optional Essay -- Which one should I use?

Postby adamwest142 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:54 pm

Michigan says to only attach 2 optional essays max, 1 of which I am using as an addendum for a 161 --> 171 lsat jump.

I have a really good diversity essay that I've used for most other schools that I feel my application would really be lacking without. Yet I've read that a "why Michigan essay" is essentially mandatory, not to mention my dad went to architecture school there and my uncle to their med school.

So I've written both essays, but still feel my diversity one is much stronger and pithy in force. What should I do?

Would it be really stupid to forego my "why Michigan" (which includes my family ties) for my stronger diversity essay? Or perhaps the addendum isn't necessary, even though they say otherwise?

help!

Nova

Re: Michigan Optional Essay -- Which one should I use?

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:56 pm

are addendums considered essays?

If so, I would not submit the LSAT addendum and would submit "Why M" + Diversity instead. Let your LSAT improvement speak for itself.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:58 pm

adamwest142 wrote: pithy in force.

Huh?

Anyway, can you just weave in a few "Why Michigan" elements to your DS? Like mention your family connections there, etc.

Also, I wouldn't really bother with the LSAT addendum unless it's mandatory, or there is a very specific reason like you were sick on your first test or something. If it's just "I studied more" I wouldn't bother.

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:45 pm

adamwest142 wrote:Michigan says to only attach 2 optional essays max, 1 of which I am using as an addendum for a 161 --> 171 lsat jump.

I have a really good diversity essay that I've used for most other schools that I feel my application would really be lacking without. Yet I've read that a "why Michigan essay" is essentially mandatory, not to mention my dad went to architecture school there and my uncle to their med school.

So I've written both essays, but still feel my diversity one is much stronger and pithy in force. What should I do?

Would it be really stupid to forego my "why Michigan" (which includes my family ties) for my stronger diversity essay? Or perhaps the addendum isn't necessary, even though they say otherwise?

help!

I had a similiar question when I applied to Michigan. I would call the admissions office (they are super nice) but I'm pretty sure this is the answer:

Addenda are not considered essays. You should submit the two essays you want to submit, and then submit your addendum on that same page by clearly marking it as an addendum.

If this makes you nervous though, you could always submit those 2 essays you want to submit, and then email their office with your addendum. That way it looks like you followed directions on the app, but you also get your addendum in.

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:47 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
adamwest142 wrote: pithy in force.

Huh?

Anyway, can you just weave in a few "Why Michigan" elements to your DS? Like mention your family connections there, etc.

Also, I wouldn't really bother with the LSAT addendum unless it's mandatory, or there is a very specific reason like you were sick on your first test or something. If it's just "I studied more" I wouldn't bother.

An LSAT addendum is not mandatory for Michigan. However, their website implies that if you have a score increase of 6 or more then they might disregard the lower one. Otherwise, they average them.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Workingtitle wrote: Otherwise, they average them.

Even if they imply that, its not true. They don't have the luxury of doing so since basically everyone else is gaming medians HARD

Workingtitle

Postby Workingtitle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:32 am

Nova wrote:

Even if they imply that, its not true. They don't have the luxury of doing so since basically everyone else is gaming medians HARD

Well, Idk. That's a fair point, but I think a lot of the T-14s are also big on "holistic" reviews. I wouldn't put it past Michigan to take an applicants average LSAT scores into consideration.
Last edited by Workingtitle on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Workingtitle wrote:
Nova wrote:

Well, Idk. That's a fair point, but a lot of the T-14s are also big on their whole "holistic" review thing. I wouldn't put it past Michigan to take an applicants average LSAT scores into consideration.

Maybe, but the bigger question is what was the reason for the score increase? If it isn't something truly significant that affected score number 1, I would not bother / draw additional attention to it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”