C&F

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cee cee
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

C&F

Postby cee cee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by cee cee on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PalmBay
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby PalmBay » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:02 pm

You really just want to pay attention to the specific language of the respective applications in the C/F section. What does it say? Some applications only want major legal ramifications you've had, others ask for more specific detail. It doesn't sound like you were sanctioned by your school in any capacity and doesn't seem like it was that big of a deal, but then again, without knowing which schools you're applying to and the specific instructions in the C/F section it's hard to offer you any real advice.

User avatar
cee cee
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby cee cee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:09 pm

So, for example, UVA asks:
Have you ever been subject to verbal or written discipline (informal or formal, and of any type, such as but not limited to warning, reprimand, suspension, and/or dismissal) for scholastic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate or professional schools you have attended, or by any employer?

where I would disclose.

While Yale's question reads:
At any college or university, have you ever been suspended, expelled, or required to withdraw, or been the subject of any other disciplinary action or proceeding for misconduct or deficient scholarship, or are there any charges pending against you?

in which case I would not send the addendum. Am I doing this right?

I guess this is what I get for trying to watch Veep.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby sparty99 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:13 pm

cee cee wrote:So, for example, UVA asks:
Have you ever been subject to verbal or written discipline (informal or formal, and of any type, such as but not limited to warning, reprimand, suspension, and/or dismissal) for scholastic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities, graduate or professional schools you have attended, or by any employer?

where I would disclose.

While Yale's question reads:
At any college or university, have you ever been suspended, expelled, or required to withdraw, or been the subject of any other disciplinary action or proceeding for misconduct or deficient scholarship, or are there any charges pending against you?

in which case I would not send the addendum. Am I doing this right?

I guess this is what I get for trying to watch Veep.


Is it on your transcript? Then no, I would not disclose.

User avatar
cee cee
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby cee cee » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:14 pm

It's definitely not on my transcript but it's in my dean's file. Should I be worried about it coming up in dean's cert for the schools that ask?

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby midwest17 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:16 pm

sparty99 wrote:Is it on your transcript? Then no, I would not disclose.


This is terrible advice.

This will not affect admissions at those schools which ask you to disclose it. Not disclosing, and having the school either find out in a dean's certification or having the bar find out when they do their investigation will have a serious impact on your prospects of ever becoming a lawyer.

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby sparty99 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:32 pm

cee cee wrote:It's definitely not on my transcript but it's in my dean's file. Should I be worried about it coming up in dean's cert for the schools that ask?


Who the hell knows. It sounds very dumb and minor. If it will make you feel better, then just disclose. However, I would lose zero sleep over this.

Noodlebrain
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby Noodlebrain » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:39 pm

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion.

I'm sure universities get more DMCA complaints than they know what to do with. If it is even on file somewhere, which I honestly doubt it is, I'm guessing it will never get reported. Disclose if it makes you feel better, but I doubt it even left the IT department. As far as wording of applications goes - I think this definitely does not count as a sanction or anything. It's a warning at most.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:35 pm

If you have to ask (wrt specific applications), then you should probably tell them.

That being said, you're pretty much an Adcomm's wet dream, so do whatever you want. I'm pretty sure you could pull a Ted Kennedy and still get into HYS. Enjoy your awesome future!

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4119
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 am

sparty99 wrote:
cee cee wrote:It's definitely not on my transcript but it's in my dean's file. Should I be worried about it coming up in dean's cert for the schools that ask?


Who the hell knows. It sounds very dumb and minor. If it will make you feel better, then just disclose. However, I would lose zero sleep over this.


It's super dumb and minor, which is all the more reason to just disclose it to be on the safe side.

PalmBay
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby PalmBay » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:18 pm

cee cee,
You would disclose to UVA and not to Yale in the example you provided. Just stick to the wording of the application and you will be fine.

UVA wants any verbal or written form of discipline, including warnings. I think that's a solid classification of what happened to you.

Yale wants to know about suspensions, expulsions, and while it does say "or any other disciplinary action" the syntax of that sentence is largely concerned with "big" infractions (such as an expulsion) and I'm not sure if they're really looking for a minor slap on the wrist.

But I do agree that this is such a minor thing that it won't hurt to disclose anyways, and is probably ultimately the safest bet.

User avatar
cee cee
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Copyright warning on C&F

Postby cee cee » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks dudes, my mind is at ease! Good luck on your cycle, everyone. Mark, you flatter me.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests