a need to update C&F?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
longlivetheking

a need to update C&F?

Postby longlivetheking » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:33 pm

so i just got a traffic ticket for having my phone on my seat (wasn't even using it) and apparently that's not allowed. just got a fine.

am i required to start emailing all my schools that i applied to about this update? can i wait until after the admission cycle is over?

Edit: PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE!! THANK YOU! :)
Last edited by longlivetheking on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PalmBay

Re: a need to update C&F?

Postby PalmBay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 pm

How severe is the traffic ticket, and how serious is the violation in your state?
You usually don't have to disclose traffic tickets. At least, in my experience, that has always been the case. Perhaps there is a school you applied to that requires traffic violations... but I highly doubt that considering almost anyone with a car probably was caught for something.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 pm

PalmBay wrote:How severe is the traffic ticket, and how serious is the violation in your state?
You usually don't have to disclose traffic tickets. At least, in my experience, that has always been the case. Perhaps there is a school you applied to that requires traffic violations... but I highly doubt that considering almost anyone with a car probably was caught for something.

nothing serious at all, the guy just gave me a ticket, told me to not keep the phone physically touching me while driving and sent me on my way. i'll double check the language on all the applications, but it just doesn't sound good when u're UR and suddenly send in a C&F update.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 pm

>>Edited per request of the OP.
Check the language of the applications. I can almost guarantee you won't have to take any action. A minor traffic violation isn't an indictment on your character or fitness.
Last edited by PalmBay on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:50 pm

Fight it obviously. I'd be shocked if you didn't get it thrown out or reduced just for showing up.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

PalmBay wrote:NO QUOTE

Definitely check the language. In the T-14, it looks like you'd need to disclose to Columbia and NYU.

I think the general rule of thumb is that if you would have had to disclose when you applied, you need to send an update now. No admissions commitee is going to care about this ticket, though.
Last edited by midwest17 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:08 pm

midwest17 wrote:Definitely check the language. In the T-14, it looks like you'd need to disclose to Columbia and NYU.

I think the general rule of thumb is that if you would have had to disclose when you applied, you need to send an update now. No admissions commitee is going to care about this ticket, though.

If you're worried, call and ask. However, I wouldn't be worried about the actual effect of this on any outcomes - just on possible repercussions if they expect you to disclose and you don't. Shouldn't take too long to ask someone.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm

PalmBay wrote:>>Edited per request of the OP.
Check the language of the applications. I can almost guarantee you won't have to take any action. A minor traffic violation isn't an indictment on your character or fitness.

Minor traffic violations are misdemeanors in some states. Some apps will require disclosure in those cases.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 pm

HYSenberg wrote:Fight it obviously. I'd be shocked if you didn't get it thrown out or reduced just for showing up.

I agree that it should be challenged. A long time ago in a state far far away (MN), I got pulled over for having tinted windows. I went in as soon as possible, told them I had the tint removed, and they ticket was completely dropped.

You never know, sometimes just going in to show you're on the ball is enough for a ticket to be dropped. Just be respectful about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”