Diveresity Statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phi1618

New

Diveresity Statement?

Post by phi1618 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:27 pm

I am currently debating whether or not to write a diversity statement. I'm 1/4 Hispanic (I checked both the Hispanic and White/Caucasian box on my application) but was raised in a suburban upper middle class neighborhood. I'd probably be able to come up with something, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Would not writing a diversity statement hurt me? Would it diminish the gain I receive from being able to check that Hispanic box? If so, by how much?

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Re: Diveresity Statement?

Post by Brettanomyces » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:31 pm

phi1618 wrote:I am currently debating whether or not to write a diversity statement. I'm 1/4 Hispanic (I checked both the Hispanic and White/Caucasian box on my application) but was raised in a suburban upper middle class neighborhood. I'd probably be able to come up with something, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Would not writing a diversity statement hurt me? Would it diminish the gain I receive from being able to check that Hispanic box? If so, by how much?
Unless you're Mexican-American or Puerto Rican, you likely won't receive much benefit from checking the Hispanic box unless you write a DS. I'd do it. It can't really hurt.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Brettanomyces wrote:
phi1618 wrote:I am currently debating whether or not to write a diversity statement. I'm 1/4 Hispanic (I checked both the Hispanic and White/Caucasian box on my application) but was raised in a suburban upper middle class neighborhood. I'd probably be able to come up with something, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Unless you're Mexican-American or Puerto Rican, you likely won't receive much benefit from checking the Hispanic box unless you write a DS. I'd do it. It can't really hurt.
I would think an insincere DS would hurt, but I don't really know.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 pm

midwest17 wrote:I would think an insincere DS would hurt, but I don't really know.
It would, but you should be able to write something sincere about your heritage. Unless you completely eschewed identifying it throughout your entire life.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”