(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 am

Last edited by Tyr on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAG Dog

Re: Homelessness- How much detail?

Postby JAG Dog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:46 am

I don't think you have to get too deep. I would concentrate more on the effects and your reaction to becoming homeless than the cause, as that will mean more to a reviewer.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

JAG Dog wrote:I don't think you have to get too deep. I would concentrate more on the effects and your reaction to becoming homeless than the cause, as that will mean more to a reviewer.

This is exactly what I wouldn't do. If you state or imply that you were homeless for a period, but you don't explain how you became homeless, admissions reps may assume or suspect that you became homeless for a bad reason (drugs, alcohol, mental illness, etc), since that is the stereotype.

Even if it wasn't for one of those reasons, they may worry or suspect that it was for another reason that would reflect badly on you - a complete inability to budget your money, etc.

This sounds like a dangerous topic. If you decide to go with it, you should be very careful - especially since it was so recent. I could imagine it contributing to a good PS if done well, though.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:06 pm

I think it sounds pretty awesome if you explain the circumstances, and how you reacted to them. If it's non-controllable adverse conditions, it sounds like a win. It sounds pretty hard to be homeless without drugs, illness, etc. which is why you need to explain it. My immediate assumption is somebody somewhere would take you in if you were normal.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:07 pm

JAG Dog wrote:I don't think you have to get too deep. I would concentrate more on the effects and your reaction to becoming homeless than the cause, as that will mean more to a reviewer.

Do not do this.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

PepperJack wrote:It sounds pretty hard to be homeless without drugs, illness, etc. which is why you need to explain it. My immediate assumption is somebody somewhere would take you in if you were normal.

Check your privilege.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:09 pm

JAG Dog wrote:I don't think you have to get too deep.

SUBTLE, BRO

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks for all the input. The whole thing had to do with "coming out" and such to a certain person. I had just moved to a new state at the time and didn't know anybody. All in all, it was quite a growing experience. Moral of the story: Be careful who you live with, even if you think you know them.

JAG Dog

Postby JAG Dog » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:03 pm

I didn't say to leave out the cause; just not to concentrate on it. You can't deny the response is going to be more important (which is what I said).

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:08 pm

PepperJack wrote:My immediate assumption is somebody somewhere would take you in if you were normal.

lol, who "takes in" homeless people aside from shelters and what not

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:35 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
PepperJack wrote:My immediate assumption is somebody somewhere would take you in if you were normal.

lol, who "takes in" homeless people aside from shelters and what not

I saw it happen in an adult film, but I doubt that would happen in real life.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:45 am

PepperJack wrote:It sounds pretty hard to be homeless without drugs, illness, etc. which is why you need to explain it. My immediate assumption is somebody somewhere would take you in if you were normal.

This has to be sarcasm.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”