Ethics of Deferal

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pancakes12

Ethics of Deferal

Postby Pancakes12 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:58 pm

I was just offered a job and have decided to accept the position in spite of having applied to about 7 or 8 law schools so far. I want to work first because I'm not 100% set on law school yet and this job will definitely help me decide. However, if I am accepted to a school I think I might eventually attend (H is likely), would it be unethical for me to defer without knowing if I'll really eventually attend?

Furthermore, would it hurt me outside the realm of law schools? For example, if I defer H and then change my mind, and then apply to Harvard Business School in the future would I be hurt in that application process?

suzige

Re: Ethics of Deferal

Postby suzige » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 pm

As I understand it deferring is not for pple who aren't sure if they want to attend in the first place, so yes, there may be some ethical questions that come up. Withdraw your apps, work for a few years, and then reapply if you decide to go for it. If you know you are going to take this job and potentially not go to law school, why add the mess of deferrals to the mix if its not necessary? Your LSAT and GPA aren't going anywhere. WE will only help if you decide to apply again.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Its only unethical if you defer and then apply elsewhere after agreeing not to.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 pm

suzige wrote:As I understand it deferring is not for pple who aren't sure if they want to attend in the first place, so yes, there may be some ethical questions that come up. Withdraw your apps, work for a few years, and then reapply if you decide to go for it. If you know you are going to take this job and potentially not go to law school, why add the mess of deferrals to the mix if its not necessary? Your LSAT and GPA aren't going anywhere. WE will only help if you decide to apply again.

SemperLegal wrote:Its only unethical if you defer and then apply elsewhere after agreeing not to.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:00 am

You will be one in a class of 500 and there will be dozens of people lining up to take your spot if you decide not to go. Don't worry about it.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 am

SemperLegal wrote:Its only unethical if you defer and then apply elsewhere after agreeing not to.

This.

Pancakes12

Postby Pancakes12 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Reviving my own post bc I am now officially admitted to HLS. So if I do a two-year deferral, and then I decide to ultimately not attend, would this hurt me at HBS? Also, would it hurt me at any other law school after I've decided to not attend HLS?

guano

Postby guano » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:Reviving my own post bc I am now officially admitted to HLS. So if I do a two-year deferral, and then I decide to ultimately not attend, would this hurt me at HBS? Also, would it hurt me at any other law school after I've decided to not attend HLS?

For HBS it probably won't matter. For other law schools, why would you bother?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”