LOR - who should I choose to write? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alecks

Bronze

LOR - who should I choose to write?

Post by alecks » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:41 pm

I need help choosing a LOR writer. I already have a letter from an academic professor who used to be a lawyer / teaches at the law school I want to go to, so I'm assuming it's a good letter.

For my second: I worked at a job 1.5 years and my manager is no longer with the company / I don't know how to contact her. I have two other options: an immediate "supervisor" who is now in a different position and no longer technically a supervisor OR a co-worker in a different department who I worked with a lot and used to be a paralegal...

equal playing fields, as it's not a matter of who would write a better writer, but wondering if I choose my coworker it will look strange that she didn't actually supervise me but did actually work with me... if this makes any sense. I can't ask my current boss without living in fear of being fired / they don't know I'm trying to leave. anyway. thanks for any advice.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Re: LOR - who should I choose to write?

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm

I've been on an admissions committee for a couple of years now. DONT use your co-worker. It simply won't help you much and won't address any questions the admissions person/committee has about you. Your previous actual supervisor would make more sense but if you can, get another academic LOR instead. LORs by and large are unhelpful to committees but academic ones are somewhat useful at addressing any doubts we have about your classes, grades or writing ability.

It sounds like your first LOR is solid, though.

alecks

Bronze

Re: LOR - who should I choose to write?

Post by alecks » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Follow up question to this- does the LOR background matter much? He was a supervisor but is only about 4 years older than me, so just a handful of years more experience than me. I'm sure he wrote a great letter but I don't want to be hurt by this letter! Kind of nervous about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”