Diversity Statement Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
toostressed

New

Diversity Statement Question

Post by toostressed » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:38 pm

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum:

I have a problem though: I don't know what to write my DS about because I have a lot of options.

- Mixed; AA and white (typical "identity" issues)
- female
- Single parent
- 9 year army vet (female in the army...black female in the army)
- Spent a year in Iraq (this is a big part of my PS)
- Disabled vet (PTSD - I watched my friends blow up...not sure if I should go anywhere near this)
- I've never lived in the same place for more than 3 years since the age of 5 (not a military brat)
- Lived and graduated high school in Canada (was there for 2 years), and was teased for being American
- Lived in rural TX for 3 years (racial issues all around...students, teachers, parents, etc.)
- Stationed in Germany for 3 years
- Lived in London for 5 months when I was 15 (Practically starved...Ha!)
- I was raised by my stepfather since I was 5 (he's white and Jewish)...ie, I grew up in an all white home in all white neighborhoods. People used to think I was adopted. My half sister has blond hair and blue eyes...you get the picture.
- My dad (biological) had a stroke last year and I dropped out of school to take care of him.

There's a lot more, but I think these are the big points. They all really had an effect on my worldview and the development of my character, so I don't really feel strongly about any one over the other.

My dilemma is picking which one(s) to write about that will make the most impact for adcoms. I do plan to talk a bit about Iraq just to have continuity within the app. What do you think?

Thanks!

TigerDude

Bronze

Re: Diversity Statement Question

Post by TigerDude » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 pm

international view, race relations from both sides, you should be golden on whatever you do.

Don't stress about it, you could pick any three of your bullets & look great.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”