How much do PS and LOR REALLY MATTER? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Progress01

New

How much do PS and LOR REALLY MATTER?

Post by Progress01 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:34 pm

In everyone's experience, how much does your ps and letters of Rec matter? Do schools really care? Or do they just want to keep their numbers up, and only require these to see you're not a cyborg and that you do actually have people skills?

I've always wondered this. Do you think you've got in to any schools BECAUSE of a dynamic ps and LOR? Why or why not?

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Re: How much do PS and LOR REALLY MATTER?

Post by Happy Gilmore » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:35 pm

Having them is good but rarely will put you over the edge. Not having them is bad and can possibly hurt you alot.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:56 pm

I am convinced that my PS is a huge reason I got into a t-14 school.

Straw_Mandible

Bronze

Post by Straw_Mandible » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Gooner91 wrote:I am convinced that my PS is a huge reason I got into a t-14 school.
Care to share your story? What were your numbers/what was(were) your unlikely acceptance(s)? What about your PS do you think may have caused you to outperform your numbers?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 am

Straw_Mandible wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:I am convinced that my PS is a huge reason I got into a t-14 school.
Care to share your story? What were your numbers/what was(were) your unlikely acceptance(s)? What about your PS do you think may have caused you to outperform your numbers?
Dude got into UVA ED. Really doubt it was the PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:51 am

90% of LORs and PSs that admissions will read are interchangeable. Great ones might nudge you off the borderline, but they aren't going to send a 3.2/165 to Columbia.

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 am

PS are the most important part of the application after LSAT/GPA. My guess is that they play a big role in which splitters and marginal (numbers-wise) applicants get in.

For my schools, it's often the key factor that causes two people with otherwise similar numbers to have different outcomes. It's also usually the reason two otherwise similar applicants might get different scholarship offers.

I've found LORs less influential. Not because they don't matter in general, but because for the most part LORs for outstanding applicants are outstanding and LORs for crappy applicants tend to be blah or speak to irrelevant qualities. On the other hand, there was that one from a professor that was written in comic sans. Had to auto-ding the applicant on principle. I'm sure that tip will be in Spivey's blog soon. That said, I get a little suspicious when people still in school with good GPAs don't have an academic LOR.

Of course, I'm JOKING...about the auto-ding part. Totally got an LOR written in comic sans by a university professor.

Dean Perez

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”