My.LawSchoolNumbers.com Downside?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dempsey6

My.LawSchoolNumbers.com Downside?

Postby dempsey6 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:00 pm

Is there a potentially negative aspect to having a profile with all the schools you have applied to on that site? Could a school potentially find any leverage in knowing your situation?

Re: My.LawSchoolNumbers.com Downside?

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:14 pm

There is a small risk that a school could use that information to either not admit you (realizing they aren't competitive for your matriculation) or give you less scholarship money (having better information about what your other offers are).

That being said, schools probably don't have the time to peruse LSN, if they do your numbers are likely shared with several other applicants (unless you are like 2.3/179 or some shit), and some schools won't care.

The best idea is to fudge your numbers slightly so that their impact is not meaningfully changed but it's harder to identify you. If you are a 3.6/173, putting 3.57/174 doesn't effect the usefulness of the data and no school is going to be like "I KNOW WHO THIS GUY IS". I would also be ambiguous with your personality indicators, i.e. if you are from Indiana, say you are from the Midwest.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:47 am

You can choose to have it "hidden." I think the option is somewhere in the settings. That's what my profile is set to. Now no one can see it.

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 am

If you fudge your numbers, you should edit them to the actual accurate numbers at the end of the cycle. It'll help people in future cycles.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 am

IgosduIkana wrote:You can choose to have it "hidden." I think the option is somewhere in the settings. That's what my profile is set to. Now no one can see it.

I've been trying to select the "hidden" feature but there seems to be no way of saving the setting change...no "ok" or "submit" to hit or anything.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 am

It is known that every person with high numbers who underperformed on lsn was on lsn, so keep that in mind

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:10 am

phillywc wrote:It is known that every person with high numbers who underperformed on lsn was on lsn, so keep that in mind

This. Granted, small sample size, but still.. it's at 100%. Just be aware.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Do you all think that LSN is accurate or a good indicator? Additionally, could the numbers be more accurate for higher ranked schools since those, theoretically, may have more engaged applicants who want to watch this sort of thing? I'm always cautious of putting too much merit into self-reported statistics.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:07 pm

Tyr wrote:Do you all think that LSN is accurate or a good indicator? Additionally, could the numbers be more accurate for higher ranked schools since those, theoretically, may have more engaged applicants who want to watch this sort of thing? I'm always cautious of putting too much merit into self-reported statistics.

I am hoping that those who had lesser credentials who got into great schools did NOT use the service...this gives me hope that I still have a shot at my reaches.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:07 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
IgosduIkana wrote:You can choose to have it "hidden." I think the option is somewhere in the settings. That's what my profile is set to. Now no one can see it.

I've been trying to select the "hidden" feature but there seems to be no way of saving the setting change...no "ok" or "submit" to hit or anything.

If I remember correctly you just select it and that's good..? I don't remember exactly. Just google your username afterwards, it should say you elected to have your profile private.

Be sure to google it with another web browser or else you're just going to reach your page because you're logged in.

esse est percipi

Postby esse est percipi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:01 pm

phillywc wrote:It is known that every person with high numbers who underperformed on lsn was on lsn, so keep that in mind

What do you mean by this?

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:25 pm

esse est percipi wrote:

We're not being serious.

(Though what we said is completely true!)

esse est percipi

Postby esse est percipi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 pm

cotiger wrote:
esse est percipi wrote:

We're not being serious.

(Though what we said is completely true!)

Lol. Right, my bad--missed the joke. I was trying to discern some kind of non-tautological *point*, so I thought he/she miswrote.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”