3.6 - GPA Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NotHermione

3.6 - GPA Addendum?

Postby NotHermione » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:30 pm

I started undergrad as a finance and accounting major and was absolutely miserable. I stuck it out for 2 years and ended up with a 3.3 GPA for those years. Finally, I elected to change my major to something I actually enjoyed and ended up with a 3.95 GPA for those last 2 years and graduated with departmental honors from that program. (& am currently working full-time in that field)

Is this worth submitting an addendum for? I'm shooting for Cornell, Northwestern or Georgetown &, assuming my LSAT falls where my practices have been I will land above their medians and do not want to be disregarded for a lower than median GPA.

stickershocked

Re: 3.6 - GPA Addendum?

Postby stickershocked » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Conventional wisdom here says no. Addendums are usually for people with undue hardship (death in the family, illness). Generally, the idea is that you'd rather not be perceived as neurotic by the adcoms, particularly since 3.6 will probably be good enough for the schools you want anyway.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 pm

NotHermione wrote:Is this worth submitting an addendum for? I'm shooting for Cornell, Northwestern or Georgetown &, assuming my LSAT falls where my practices have been I will land above their medians and do not want to be disregarded for a lower than median GPA.

The addendum wouldn't change whether they'd disregard you for that GPA. Without a better reason than not liking your classes, I'd skip the addendum.

dusters

Postby dusters » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:36 pm

No. They will see your transcript and your grade trend. An addendum just sounds whiny in this case.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm

dusters wrote:No. They will see your transcript and your grade trend. An addendum just sounds whiny in this case.

This. Adcoms read thousands of files. They are clever enough to notice you changed majors and did much better in it. There's nothing you can add in an addendum that they wouldn't already have figured out.

wowhio

Postby wowhio » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 am

Also, a 3.6 really isn't so bad. Writing an addendum might come across as a bit neurotic.

HYSenberg

Postby HYSenberg » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 pm

wowhio wrote:Also, a 3.6 really isn't so bad. Writing an addendum might come across as a bit neurotic.

It's below the 25th for a number of schools. I think its okay to write one if you have a reasonably compelling explanation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”