How many LORs to send?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How many LORs to send?

Postby 5678 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am

I have four letters of recommendation submitted to CAS, all of which I think are fairly strong (or at least not weak). Should I send all four to every school I apply to? Or just pick the two that I think are the strongest?

Marshmallow

Re: How many LORs to send?

Postby Marshmallow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

Some schools (Michigan I believe?) encourage three LORs. Most schools want two academic LORs. A lot of people say to send two, and save others for waitlists. Read the app instructions carefully, and sometimes you can get a sense of how many a school wants.

I have four as well, two from college professors and two from bosses post UG. I think I have four solid LORs, but I'm still only going to send two to most schools. hth

EvMont

Postby EvMont » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 am

You should also think about what each additional LOR can actually add to you app. If it's a matter of submitting 4 academic LORs (for example) don't do it. But, if you think that third rec will show another perspective of your awesomeness (work experience, leadership, different manifestation of your academic potential not shown in the first 2 letters) then submit the 3rd and save the 4th to use if you get waitlisted.

Postby 5678 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:19 am

Alright thanks for the advice.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:12 pm

5678 wrote:I have four letters of recommendation submitted to CAS, all of which I think are fairly strong (or at least not weak). Should I send all four to every school I apply to? Or just pick the two that I think are the strongest?

The latter. Don't ever send a letter that you know, or have strong reason to believe, is clearly weaker than your two best letters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”