It's been asked before but...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarvardHopeful93

It's been asked before but...

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:35 am

So I hear the general consensus is that schools don't care if I take a 5th year to pad my GPA. But would it matter if that school was Harvard or Yale? Currently on track for a 3.85. I am very confident that taking an extra year could raise it to 3.9+. Then I could get WE afterwards still. Probably would have to declare a 2nd major to conceal the intention though huh? Thoughts?

North

Re: It's been asked before but...

Postby North » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:37 am

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:So I hear the general consensus is that schools don't care if I take a 5th year to pad my GPA. But would it matter if that school was Harvard or Yale? Currently on track for a 3.85. I am very confident that taking an extra year could raise it to 3.9+. Then I could get WE afterwards still. Probably would have to declare a 2nd major to conceal the intention though huh? Thoughts?

Do it. No question.

You're gonna need that LSAT though.

HarvardHopeful93

Postby HarvardHopeful93 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:42 am

Yeah I figured as much...but does this strategy fly with schools like HYS? I'm sure other schools may not care but what about these ones?

North

Postby North » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 am

HarvardHopeful93 wrote:Yeah I figured as much...but does this strategy fly with schools like HYS? I'm sure other schools may not care but what about these ones?

They won't ding you for spending five years in UG. But it's an uphill battle from a below median GPA/LSAT. If you're worried, make an effort during your extra year to (in addition to boosting your GPA) become a more interesting person.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:15 pm

They won't even know that any "strategy" was being employed as long as the transcript isn't full of BS during that final year. But if you can score 173+ now you don't need any extra help as you'd most likely get in anyway. If the extra year will cost a bunch of money just focus on stomping the LSAT but if money isn't an issue do the extra year and follow North's advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”