Resume Q - Include College Extracurriculars? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asundialwatch

New

Resume Q - Include College Extracurriculars?

Post by asundialwatch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Hey all,

I've been out of school for almost three years and I'm finishing up my resume. I was wondering if it was more important to include recent employment information or some college activities. My resume is pretty thorough in describing my work duties, I just want to be sure I'm not missing something schools will care about from my undergraduate career.

Thanks!

nothingtosee

Silver

Re: Resume Q - Include College Extracurriculars?

Post by nothingtosee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 pm

I would say one line underneath your college section that looks something like

Activities: Feminist Club (Vice-President), Intermural Volleyball (Player-Coach), KLAW (Radio DJ)

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:02 pm

asundialwatch wrote:My resume is pretty thorough in describing my work duties, I just want to be sure I'm not missing something schools will care about from my undergraduate career.
I can pretty much guarantee you can remove at least half of that and have enough room to fit in ECs from college, which should be included.

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 am

Last edited by EvMont on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carlo Von Sexron

Bronze

Post by Carlo Von Sexron » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 pm

If you have room left on your resume, which should be 1 page max, go ahead and include your extracurriculars. Unless they're monumentally stupid shit like "Member, Alpha Chi Omega Fall Hayride Committee."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm

A question to go with this:

What about adding something to your resume that hasn't happened yet but is definitely going to happen? I just received a position as an editor for my college's newspaper. I haven't started yet, but I have the position locked.

slayerhn

New

Post by slayerhn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:51 pm

patfeeney wrote:A question to go with this:

What about adding something to your resume that hasn't happened yet but is definitely going to happen? I just received a position as an editor for my college's newspaper. I haven't started yet, but I have the position locked.
I had an internship with a judge for the summer before I would enter into law school. I put it on my resume with the "Summer 2013" (when my resume was sent in December of 2012). On my letter of acceptance, one school wrote that they were happy to hear that I was interning for the judge because he worked closely with the school.

Anecdotal advice at best, but if nobody responds with a legitimate answer, it may be useful.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:27 pm

EvMont wrote:You should also check to see if the schools you're applying to actually have length restrictions for the resume. If not, why not just include it all?
Because including too much can hurt your application. It shows that you can't prioritize or edit yourself. Also, the more stuff the application readers have to read through, the less "punch" each individual element packs.

As to including an upcoming job on your resume, it's not bad (though it's better to have things you've actually done), but it better be important.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”