LOR Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
phaynes1

LOR Question

Postby phaynes1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:46 pm

I don't know if this situation would lend well to getting a letter of recommendation or if they would look down on a letter from a family member. It would be my third letter so it is t replacing the rec of a professor or employer or anything. Any help is appreciated.

My cousin is a partner at one of the bigger immigration law firms in Chicago, as well as an alum of loyolla and an adjunct professor at northwestern. Would having someone like this as a rec look good based on his experience and connections or bad considering he is family?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

EvMont

Re: LOR Question

Postby EvMont » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm

phaynes1 wrote:I don't know if this situation would lend well to getting a letter of recommendation or if they would look down on a letter from a family member. It would be my third letter so it is t replacing the rec of a professor or employer or anything. Any help is appreciated.

My cousin is a partner at one of the bigger immigration law firms in Chicago, as well as an alum of loyolla and an adjunct professor at northwestern. Would having someone like this as a rec look good based on his experience and connections or bad considering he is family?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks all.

This might be helpful. Several T14 admissions officers respond to the question: What do you look for in recommendation letters? Does it help to have a recommendation from a famous or important person?
http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/applicants/admissions_questions/recommendation_letters

tl;dr - I think the general rule is to avoid submitting LORs from family or highly credentialed non-academics unless they can speak very specifically to work you've done with that person.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”