Gap Year Resume-Padding

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sjwoods

Gap Year Resume-Padding

Postby sjwoods » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:42 am

I'm graduating this year and planning on taking a year or two off before law school. My GPA and LSAT score qualify me for HYS, but during my time off I want to round out my resume. As of yet, I don't have any exposure to the legal field. I'm planning on spending the majority of my gap year(s) in Europe and/or West Africa, and I was wondering what would look good for my HYS apps.

My question is: What would be most beneficial for me to do during my time off? Do they place much weight on "legal" internships (I mean, I imagine I'd just be getting the real lawyers coffee since I'll only have my BA)? Would it look just as good to hold some (interesting) job abroad? Any suggestions on how to find specific positions for the job/internship/etc. that you recommend?

IAFG

Re: Gap Year Resume-Padding

Postby IAFG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 am

Because this is unlikely to do much to change admission outcomes, focus on doing things that will improve your employment outcomes.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:24 pm

IAFG wrote:Because this is unlikely to do much to change admission outcomes, focus on doing things that will improve your employment outcomes.

Exactly. Get a job.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Do something that you'll enjoy and will let you live and not because it's going to help you get into HYS.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 am

Don't worry about making money, though, because however much you make will just be deducted from your need-based aid.

EDIT: Should have said saving money. Obv you need to make enough to live, but if you make too much or save too much it won't help you.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Because this is unlikely to do much to change admission outcomes, focus on doing things that will improve your employment outcomes.

Exactly. Get a job.

And it doesn't have to be one that's related to the legal field.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 pm

I am actually quite interested in this thread because like OP, I am in the midst of a gap year with no real desire to do anything for now. I am wondering if anything I do now will really stand out that much on a resume. I just completed an 8 month internship in my local government serving as a mayoral assistant/interim advisory board secretary. As of now, I'm working a bs 15 hr a week retail job and I'm actually enjoying life more than I have in a while as I live with no significant responsibilities and I'm pretty much partying it up in my undergrad town and surrounding metropolitan area. However, part of me feels like I should be doing something more to enhance my resume such as volunteering for my local city attorney or a judge. But to be honest, I'm really enjoying this gap year with the way I'm living it now. Is it even worth putting something else on the resume? Sorry to get away from your question OP.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Young Marino wrote:I am actually quite interested in this thread because like OP, I am in the midst of a gap year with no real desire to do anything for now. I am wondering if anything I do now will really stand out that much on a resume. I just completed an 8 month internship in my local government serving as a mayoral assistant/interim advisory board secretary. As of now, I'm working a bs 15 hr a week retail job and I'm actually enjoying life more than I have in a while as I live with no significant responsibilities and I'm pretty much partying it up in my undergrad town and surrounding metropolitan area. However, part of me feels like I should be doing something more to enhance my resume such as volunteering for my local city attorney or a judge. But to be honest, I'm really enjoying this gap year with the way I'm living it now. Is it even worth putting something else on the resume? Sorry to get away from your question OP.

What happened with the internship? You didn't make any good connections to lead to more work/internships?

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

IAFG wrote:
Young Marino wrote:I am actually quite interested in this thread because like OP, I am in the midst of a gap year with no real desire to do anything for now. I am wondering if anything I do now will really stand out that much on a resume. I just completed an 8 month internship in my local government serving as a mayoral assistant/interim advisory board secretary. As of now, I'm working a bs 15 hr a week retail job and I'm actually enjoying life more than I have in a while as I live with no significant responsibilities and I'm pretty much partying it up in my undergrad town and surrounding metropolitan area. However, part of me feels like I should be doing something more to enhance my resume such as volunteering for my local city attorney or a judge. But to be honest, I'm really enjoying this gap year with the way I'm living it now. Is it even worth putting something else on the resume? Sorry to get away from your question OP.

What happened with the internship? You didn't make any good connections to lead to more work/internships?

I can go back and work on the mayors campaign or work for another elected representative if I choose but I would rather do something wirh some sort of legal capacity such as volunteering under a city attorney or judge. However, I'd rather just relax with what I'm doing now and not have to worry about all that. Is it really that important to do something as I wait for August?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Young Marino wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I can go back and work on the mayors campaign or work for another elected representative if I choose but I would rather do something wirh some sort of legal capacity such as volunteering under a city attorney or judge. However, I'd rather just relax with what I'm doing now and not have to worry about all that. Is it really that important to do something as I wait for August?

I mean I can only speak for myself, but if you came to my firm for a CB I would wonder if it didn't go well with your internship and no one wanted to work with you after that.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:49 pm

If the internship lasted for 8 months, I highly doubt anyone is going to think it didn't go well. Most internships don't necessarily lead to full-time jobs. I can't think of any scenario where someone would think "gee, 8 month internship. didn't lead to full-time job. must be a loser."

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm

altoid99 wrote:If the internship lasted for 8 months, I highly doubt anyone is going to think it didn't go well. Most internships don't necessarily lead to full-time jobs. I can't think of any scenario where someone would think "gee, 8 month internship. didn't lead to full-time job. must be a loser."

Except it's followed by 8 months of nothing, if am understanding right.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:26 pm

IAFG wrote:
altoid99 wrote:If the internship lasted for 8 months, I highly doubt anyone is going to think it didn't go well. Most internships don't necessarily lead to full-time jobs. I can't think of any scenario where someone would think "gee, 8 month internship. didn't lead to full-time job. must be a loser."

If that's the case, then yeah. But I understood that he was working a part-time retail job. Not anything that'll impress anyone, but at least it's something.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 pm

altoid99 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

If that's the case, then yeah. But I understood that he was working a part-time retail job. Not anything that'll impress anyone, but at least it's something.

It's not like things went poorly with my internship. The program jusy ended. I got an outstanding letter of recommendation from my local mayor and look to use that when applying for law school internships. The thing is, I don't know if I want to put this retail job on my resume unless I really have to. Once I start doing internships in law school and externships, those and the internships I did with my mayor and campaigns will probably be on my resume but I don't think I'll include any retail jobs from years past. So do you guys think that volunteering some more really help me that much or can I afford to just not give a single fuck right now?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”