can an LOR writer rescind his LOR and write a new one?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prospect2014

can an LOR writer rescind his LOR and write a new one?

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:57 am

edit
Last edited by prospect2014 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Re: can an LOR writer rescind his LOR and write a new one?

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:42 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why it matters to know this information. Let's assume he says "yes, I did include tardiness." Now what?

I'm not sure if you have already submitted your app, so two scenarios play out. Assuming you have not, well then as you said, you waived your right, so not using his LOR after learning this would be unethical.

Assuming you have already submitted, what are you going to do with this information if you learn it? Worry more? That won't do any good. I have no idea if he can rescind or replace the first LOR, but if you do this you invite that risk, and for no gain. Because if you learn he incorporated tardiness (which honestly I doubt) you can't do a thing about it.

My advice: don't ask. You chose him because you felt he would write one of the best LORs for you (or at least you should have) and I would trust that he did so.

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:55 am

Asking him to re-write will only make things worse, in my opinion. You don't know how much of his or her own time the professor took to think about, prepare for, write, re-write, proofread, and then sending your letter of rec. You're going to demand a repeat of that process?

In my opinion, you should have made an effort to
a) be on time for the class of the professor who is writing your LOR for law school
b) communicated with the professor about extending the deadline instead of just letting the deadline pass

Being late to a class or missing a deadline might be things the typical undergrad just passes off as "whatever", but if you're aspiring to be a professional these are some damaging things.

Just hope the professor likes you enough to make a more positive representation rather than the recent negatives. The grammar mistakes are overblown and probably not even a big deal. Those things happen to everyone. But being late and missing deadlines while he's writing the LOR is rough. Personally, I think most professors want to see their students achieve their goals and aren't too harsh when writing LORs. You shouldn't worry about it.

But if you absolutely feel uncomfortable with that particular LOR, instead of requesting a re-write you should ask another professor to write one and either use that to add a little more cushion or use it to replace the one in question if you feel that strongly about it.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:47 pm

edit
Last edited by prospect2014 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Based on the clarification I would say definitely don't ask. There is no real upside. I don't think subtly dropping hints that you are punctual is a good idea. You need to be focused on answering the questions to the best of your ability, coming off as a genuine, well-spoken person, and not acting or giving contrived answers. I have interviewed many people as part of my job, and believe me, you can tell when people are incorporating "talking points" into their answers.

Additionally, if you are emphasizing your punctuality, and they did read an LOR from your professor mentioning your lack thereof, who are they going to believe? They may a) question your the validity of your answers, or b) wonder if you were privy to what was in the letter (which questions your ethics).

I stand by my original thought that there is little upside and a fair amount of downside. I wouldn't do it.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:32 pm

what about just for peace of mind reasons and not to do anything with it?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:40 pm

prospect2014 wrote:what about just for peace of mind reasons and not to do anything with it?

But you said yourself you're worried about the professor's response to asking that question, so there's risk there. Also I don't think "peace of mind" is a legitimate concern. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just relax and let the process take place. I can't imagine your prof would even mention it.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:44 pm

edit
Last edited by prospect2014 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 pm

you are worrying way too much about this. do not ask him to re-do it. DO.NOT.ASK.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:53 pm

prospect2014 wrote:I know he's not out to screw my chances. he wants to see me succeed. but he told me that he tried to add variety to his LORs, because if a school received 10k LORs and they all say that the student is the next einstein, then LORs would be worthless. that's why I think he may have thrown in some bad qualities to make it "varied."

Okay...

So if you think this then you must think he added something negative. Therefore if you ask him for "peace of mind," and he says, "yes, I wrote you are a perpetually tardy person, and you are prone to making multiple grammatical errors in your written work," I will ask again: now what? Did it give you peace of mind to hear that? Probably not. Can you do anything about it? No.

You need to do what every other person who has LOR's written does: forget about them. You request them, and they get to write whatever they want, send them in, and you do not get to see them or know what is in them. That's how it works. There is a reason for this, and that reason is to make sure that if a person is always late to class, and the professor wants to write this, he or she can do so without fear that a student will find out, and either a) not submit the letter, or b) try to "stretch" the truth in an interview to negate what was said by the professor. Refer to my earlier posts on why these two options are both bad ideas.

I apologize for the firm nature of this post, but I just don't think what I am saying is sinking in. The best option is to forget about it. Finding out what he wrote will not change a thing, and if what you suspect is true is in fact true, then finding out will only take away from your peace of mind as opposed to easing it.
Last edited by lawschool22 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prospect2014

Postby prospect2014 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:00 pm

ok I won't ask him anything.

I still want to know whether he can withdraw his LOR. I don't plan on giving him an F-U, but I just handed in a paper 14 hours late because I didn't read a 400pg book until 6 hours before it was due and then I sat on it some more

I'm still in the game for pbk and fall grade updates, so I don't plan on slipping too far, but shit happens.

assuming he wrote a top 5% rec but not a top 1% rec, would my subsequent slacking cause him to withdraw his rec? or once it's submitted it's in and no one can do anything about it?

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:09 pm

"I just handed in a paper 14 hours late because I didn't read a 400pg book until 6 hours before it was due and then I sat on it some more..."

You're worried about a professor writing a bad letter and/or withdrawing it, and so you proceed by turning in a paper to his class late? At this point I'm thinking what he wrote is probably accurate, and I wouldn't worry about distinguishing between a "top 1% rec" and a "top 5%" rec.

Also, that above strategy of reading and writing will not serve you well in law school.

To answer your question though, I have no idea if they can withdraw a rec from the LSAC system, but if you have already submitted, and they school was already send the CAS report, I would be shocked if they can withdraw it at that point. Even so, I can't imagine a professor would unless you know he is truly angry with your lack of punctuality

PalmBay

Postby PalmBay » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Did you already submit applications? There's no way to get that back without seriously inconveniencing admissions and also giving yourself a red flag.

Just get another teacher to write one and don't use the one in question. You get to choose which letters you send to each school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”