I no longer need your help; delete this post.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
freaksandghouls

I no longer need your help; delete this post.

Postby freaksandghouls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:03 am

I made a decision and now have deleted my post. Thanks for the help, everyone!
Last edited by freaksandghouls on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

McAvoy

Re: I am desperate for good advice. ED or risk everything?

Postby McAvoy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:10 am

-
Last edited by McAvoy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:10 am

You aren't getting HYS, CC are possible, but why not just apply to the rest of the T-14 and see who throws you the most money? If I were you I would not ED. You may end up getting serious $$$ at the lower T-14, and you could still satisfy your (stupid) craving to prove yourself to others. Honestly, I think it's pretty sad that you need to go to a top school to prove yourself to others because you didn't go to a prestigious undergrad. You should go to a top school for the excellent job prospects.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:13 am

No point in EDing NYU.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=218894

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 am

1. This isn't Reddit

2. Mylsn.info says...

...but then you'll probably be paying sticker. Are you sure you want to be in debt so long?

3. Re: NYU preftige. No one knows the University of Chicago is better than the University of Detroit if you're talking to lay people. So uh...believe in yourself! Then you don't have to carry haters around on your shoulder.

4. Why not work for a year and retake? A 172 will make you a lock (8 out of 8) at NYU and Chicago (4 out of 5). You aren't going to die if you start law school when you're 23. And a year working will give you more responsibility and, if a good job, a better chance of employment. Also stronger resume overall.

So I vote "Apply, see what happens, then if they don't give you any scholly go work and retake."

But Duke and Penn have tons of lay preftige. So maybe go there.

freaksandghouls

Postby freaksandghouls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks.
Last edited by freaksandghouls on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noodlebrain

Postby Noodlebrain » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:23 am

Please for the love of your cardiac health just chill out for a bit. Your thread is stressing me out.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 am

Noodlebrain wrote:Please for the love of your cardiac health just chill out for a bit. Your thread is stressing me out.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am

Going from 130s to 170 is insane. So no, you should not retake. I vote against ED though.

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am

Apply to all T14 and go after the $$$.
Doesn't Cornell have lay prestige too? You'll probably get some money from them.

Postby 04102014 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 am

I don't like it when people write in all caps. Unless it is to be funny.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:58 am

Unagi wrote:Apply to all T14 and go after the $$$.
Doesn't Cornell have lay prestige too? You'll probably get some money from them.

+1. I wouldn't ED. Instead, RD to CCN and the lower T14 and see who gives you money. NYU will cost you in excess of 250k at sticker. I personally think that 60k+ at a lower T14 would be better than sticker at NYU.
Also, lay prestige doesn't matter in the slightest. You are going to be hired by attorneys, not by generic white collar professionals.
I think you stand a great chance at money from MVP and a near certain chance of money from DCNG.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:15 pm

freaksandghouls wrote:So, reddit, what would you do if you were me? Please help me out, I am truly desperate and torn up over this.

CHANGE THE 'REDDIT' REMARK. #rude #thankgodwerenotanadcom #unlawyerly
Last edited by ZVBXRPL on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:23 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Unagi wrote:Apply to all T14 and go after the $$$.

+1. I wouldn't ED. Instead, RD to CCN and the lower T14 and see who gives you money. NYU will cost you in excess of 250k at sticker. I personally think that 60k+ at a lower T14 would be better than sticker at NYU.
Also, lay prestige doesn't matter in the slightest. You are going to be hired by attorneys, not by generic white collar professionals.
I think you stand a great chance at money from MVP and a near certain chance of money from DCNG.

I understand the temptation to be swayed by lay prestige, but OP stop thinking this way. Do you think after law school anyone outside of the field is going to know the difference between Wachtell and Milbank? No. Chill out, just RD and see what happens. Not cracking the T6 is not some sort of abhorrent failure.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 pm

You should apply RD, but not because you might get into Harvard or Stanford. Apply RD because sticker is too expensive and it doesn't sound like you need to be in NYC.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 pm

Don't ED.

Also please do not feel sorry for yourself. You have worked very hard and have respectable stats. Don't forget that a 170 is a great score and outside of the TLS echo-chamber (no knock on TLS by the way) many would kill for it. The difference in outcomes between NYU and many of the other T14 is minimal, but the difference in $$ could be great - which will have a huge impact on your quality of life and flexibility coming out of law school.

I don't think many K-JD's truly understand the difference that lower debt will have on your ability to do many of the things that make a job worth it in the first place (travel, entertainment, good food, a nice place to live, etc.).

If you ED, you forgo the chance to get a sizable scholarship from certain schools. And if you get into NYU RD, you are no worse off than you would be by applying ED. Also, as was pointed out earlier, there is not a statistically provable bump for NYU ED that we can see.

Overall it is just not worth the risk. Go RD and then you'll have options.

Do not make excuses for the negative things that have occurred to you in your life, and conversely take all the credit (which you deserve!) for the positive things that have happened to you. You have worked hard. Don't wave the flag of surrender by ED-ing to NYU.

Good luck!

Edit: grammar
Last edited by lawschool22 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freaksandghouls

Postby freaksandghouls » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:56 pm

You guys are cool.
Last edited by freaksandghouls on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 pm

freaksandghouls wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Don't ED.

Also please do not feel sorry for yourself. You have worked very hard and have respectable stats. Don't forget that a 170 is a great score and outside of the TLS echo-chamber (no knock on TLS by the way) many would kill for it. The difference in outcomes between NYU and many of the other T14 is minimal, but the difference in $$ could be great - which will have a huge impact on your quality of life and flexibility coming out of law school.

I don't think many K-JD's truly understand the difference that lower debt will have on your ability to do many of the things that makes a job worth it in the first place (travel, entertainment, good food, a nice place to live, etc.).

If you ED, you forgo the chance to get a sizable scholarship from certain schools. And if you get into NYU RD, you were no worse off than you would be by applying ED. Also, as was pointed out earlier, there is not a statistically provable bump for NYU ED that we can see.

Overall it is just not worth the risk. Go RD and then you'll have options.

Do not make excuses for the negative things that have occurred to you in your life, and conversely take all the credit (which you deserve!) for the positive things that have happened to you. You have worked hard. Don't wave the flag of surrender by ED-ing to NYU.

Good luck!

Thank you for your kind advice. Yes, I think I am going to chicken out and not ED. I am a fucking neurotic mess right now but I appreciate your kindness. Have a great day!

Don't think of it as chickening out. Think of it as making the logical choice supported by facts as opposed to an irrational decision dictated by emotion. As a lawyer this is large part the way you should be thinking.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Don't think of it as chickening out. Think of it as making the logical choice supported by facts as opposed to an irrational decision dictated by emotion.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Just apply to the entire T-14 - you have good chances everywhere and it sounds like a lot of these schools can fit your varied goals.

And I agree - don't retake. It's clear you have maxed out your LSAT potential. Congrats on having made it all the way up from the 130's to this. A 30 to 40 point improvement is, to say the least, mind-boggling. Many people can barely get a 5 to 10 point improvement, let alone that kind of jump.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:26 pm

The tone of this post makes me think you're trying to decide whether to buy food for your starving children or pay the electric bill to keep operating your husband's iron lung.

Calm down. Apply to NYU on down. Let go of this hysterical hand-wringing about prestige and proving yourself--the only prestige that matters is the kind that gets you a job. Laypeople think ANY law school is impressive (lol at them). Lawyers will respect NYU or whatever other T14 just fine.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:32 pm

cotiger wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:Don't think of it as chickening out. Think of it as making the logical choice supported by facts as opposed to an irrational decision dictated by emotion.

This. And you are going to have a great cycle. No need to stress out so much.

Merylian

Postby Merylian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Take a deep breath because you're gonna be okay.

RD everywhere sounds like a better idea. You will probably get decent money from lower schools that are still great choices with tons of lay prestige. Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Penn, Berkeley...all are really recognizable if name brand is what you're looking for. And you still have a decent shot of getting into NYU, if that's what you really want. Either way, you really will have a good cycle with plenty of excellent options if you throw your net wide.

Good luck, and really, don't stress too much :)

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 pm

If anything, it'd be cowardly not to apply RD. With ED, you're essentially assuring yourself massive debt. I don't think the massive debt is worth the assurance.

CandFwoes

Re: I no longer need your help; delete this post.

Postby CandFwoes » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm guessing the OP was asking whether or not he should ED to NYU.

I have a related question. I (very stupidly) applied ED to NYU. I thought I was in a weaker position for acceptance than I actually was; now I understand that it's probable I would have been accepted RD. Browsing LSN, I see that others with my numbers have gotten significant scholarship money from lower T-14s.

NYU is my top pick school for a number of reasons -- I live and work in the city, and my friends and support network are there. I love the village, and if I'm going to spend three years of my life somewhere, location matters to me. I would strongly prefer to work in NYC after graduating, hopefully in a large firm (I'm open to relocating, but my life is here in NY).

Still, I'm thinking about withdrawing my NYU app and trying my luck at a lower T-14 for scholarship money. I'm conflicted, because NYU is the school I want to go to, hands down. That I would even consider withdrawing would be unthinkable to me a few months ago. But now I'm experiencing a bit of sticker shock.

Advice?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”