LSN applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawpanther

LSN applicants

Postby lawpanther » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:08 pm

Was intrigued by a discussion on spivey's thread about how LSN skews towards higher-caliber applicants. There was a cool link about what percentage of applicants are actually represented, and a side discussion about the type of applicant likely on LSN.

I had a follow up question, but decided to start a new thread rather than clutter up the q&a.

my question:
there has been a lot of talk about how lsn is full of higher caliber applicants. what exactly does this mean? I can see two different interpretations of this. They could be better numbers-wise OR better softs-wise within a given numbers range. So is it that:

a) the applicants on LSN are superior numbers-wise? So, if a schools looks like, say, 50% of their admits are on lsn, and this school's lsn page seems to be heavily weighted towards 180/4.3 applicants, does this mean that most likely these are MOST of the 4.3/180 applicants, because lsn attracts applicants with better numbers? This would imply that, perhaps, the school's applicant pool is most evenly distributed than lsn suggests.

b) or, is it that, if the school seems heavily weighted towards 4.3/180 applicants, is it that this schools applicants are actually heavily weighted towards 180/4.3 applicants, because the graph is relatively representative and the "higher caliber" refers more to softs? this would apply that the graph is representative numbers-wise, but that, for each applicant with given numbers, it's a higher-quality applicant than average?

To put it another way, most t-14 schools probably have a lot of 3.7/169ish applicants. Is it that LSN sways towards "high quality" applicants in that 3.8+/170+ applicants are overrepresented, or is it that out of the 3.7/169ish applicants (or any with a given numbers pair), the ones on LSN have great softs and stronger apps? Or a mix of both?

This has implications for splitters. If it's the first interpretation, it suggests that, if lsn just skews towards people with higher numbers, and a given school seems to admit, say, one out of four 170+/2.x applicants, then it's likely that the sample size in this range is just too small and you might have a shot.

But if it's the second, it suggests that, even though the number if splitters might be low, the ones that are actually on LSn are likely better than you. So, if a school only lets 1/4 great splitters in, the average applicant doesn't have a shot.

thanks all!

Pneumonia

Re: LSN applicants

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 pm

a good way to check would be to check LSN 25/50/75's against the schools published medians. I'd actually be surprised if this hasn't been done by LSATSCORES2012, Elterrible, kappycaft1 or someone else.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Pneumonia wrote:a good way to check would be to check LSN 25/50/75's against the schools published medians. I'd actually be surprised if this hasn't been done by LSATSCORES2012, Elterrible, kappycaft1 or someone else.

At least with the T14s I've looked at, these numbers are sufficiently higher than the actual medians of the schools.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 pm

Pneumonia wrote:a good way to check would be to check LSN 25/50/75's against the schools published medians. I'd actually be surprised if this hasn't been done by LSATSCORES2012, Elterrible, kappycaft1 or someone else.

Here's the chart that kappycaft1 and LSATSCORES2012 put together. Make sure to click the tabs across the top in order to see both the graphs AND the data.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 pm

just saw this in the Spivey thread, from kappycaft1 and LSATSCORES2012:

https://docs.google.com/a/utexas.edu/sp ... FSXc&gid=4

eta: scooped by SR

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”